Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

College

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:49 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Anyone else working with their kids on college search?

My DD is a Sophomore in high school. She took her SAT's yesterday. Went to UMass last weekend for a clinic and she will be going to Syracuse this summer for a recruiting camp. Its a lot of work. D1, D2, D3? what offers more $$$? at the same time trying to find one that offers the major she wants. Keeping he grades up and figuring out what she needs to keep her GPA at for the rest of her high school time. It's a fulltime job.

Hoping others are in the same boat and we can offer advice and help each other.

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM
we have put 2 thru college , one through ivy league , one through state .. and currently have a freshman in hs and a middle schooler. its a process especially with a child who is not particularly driven. Good luck. and dont let this wknd's debaucle at UMass Amherst deter you- great school even with the party issue.
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I just saw that on the news. I am hoping she will be so busy with sports. I think all colleges have party issues. Did any of your kids play sports in college?

Quoting calsmom62: we have put 2 thru college , one through ivy league , one through state .. and currently have a freshman in hs and a middle schooler. its a process especially with a child who is not particularly driven. Good luck. and dont let this wknd's debaucle at UMass Amherst deter you- great school even with the party issue.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
one did crew and one did soccer for one yr.

Quoting Jessiejack:

I just saw that on the news. I am hoping she will be so busy with sports. I think all colleges have party issues. Did any of your kids play sports in college?

Quoting calsmom62: we have put 2 thru college , one through ivy league , one through state .. and currently have a freshman in hs and a middle schooler. its a process especially with a child who is not particularly driven. Good luck. and dont let this wknd's debaucle at UMass Amherst deter you- great school even with the party issue.

mamavalor
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister went to UMass at Amherst and she had to transfer because of the partying issues.  If your daughter decides to go there, make sure she lives in one of the non-partying dorms.

My DD1 is in middle school and she is thinking about what she wants to do.  She knows she wants to be in Boston.

mamavalor
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

How is crew?  Hubby thinks DD2's personality and size make her the perfect coxswain.

Quoting calsmom62: one did crew and one did soccer for one yr.
Quoting Jessiejack:

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Are you from Boston area?

Quoting mamavalor:

My sister went to UMass at Amherst and she had to transfer because of the partying issues.  If your daughter decides to go there, make sure she lives in one of the non-partying dorms.

My DD1 is in middle school and she is thinking about what she wants to do.  She knows she wants to be in Boston.

mamavalor
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I grew up there.  Family still lives there. 

Quoting Jessiejack:

Are you from Boston area?

Quoting mamavalor:

my2kidsmom9498
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
D3 does not give any sports scholarships. Dd plays club level in college as she is on an academic scholarship to a D3. .
juliX4
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I just got done with the college search! Dd will be playing volleyball next year at an NAIA school. The sport search is what stressed me out the most but I hired a recruiter (for $100) and he found the best fit for her. It's NAIA but it's ranked in the top 25 vb programs in the nation for NAIA, plus the school is excellent! It's not Ivy League but no one around here goes Ivy League lol
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM
It was a good fit for dd but the early am practices were a challenge.

Quoting mamavalor:

How is crew?  Hubby thinks DD2's personality and size make her the perfect coxswain.

Quoting calsmom62: one did crew and one did soccer for one yr.
Quoting Jessiejack:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)