Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Sports & Activities Kids' Sports & Activities

She won sixth place in barrel racing!

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

My DD10 went to her second gymkhana  (barrel racing) competition on Saturday. It was her first time at this park, and was an hour drive from our house. She spent the night with our neighbor (she's 13), and went to the barn at 6:30 in the morning, to get the horses ready and in the trailers.

The first event started at 10:15, and we stayed until a little after 7, after she finished her last event, and untacked the horse. My DD was there with two of her coaches, and the barrel racing team. The five youngest kids are 5-8 years old, about 12 teenagers, up to her two coaches (one is 17, and the other is mom-age. LOL!)

She competed in Cloverleaf barrels (3 barrels in a triangle shape), Horseshow barrels (7 barrels in a square "C" shape) and Washington Poles (six poles, run past them, weave up and back, and run back to the start). If she had wanted to be in the Novice class, she would have done those events, and would have been done. But, she told me "Mom, I have worked too hard to be in the Novice class. I want to compete in the under 12 division." Even though she knew that most of those kids own their own horses, and have a lot more experience, she said she didn't care if she placed, she just wanted to try, and have fun.

The last event was her favorite - Bend and Jump. You have to weave between three poles, around a barrel, over a jump, and run home. She loved the jump in practice, and was super excited to do it for the first time in competition.

She won sixth place in her first jump event!! I was so proud! It really ended a long day on a good note! 

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Lynn750
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

What great pics!!  That is wonderful!!!

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Congrats to her

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN