Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does your husband/SO do?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 472 Total Views

What does your husband or significant other do for a living? What is it that keeps him away from home?

My husband is a journeyman iron worker. He's been with the same company for about 15 years. Right now the only work is in ann arbor, michigan about 2 hours away from where the kids and I live. He has an apartment with a few coworkers where he lives during the week. He tries to come home on weekends, but can't when there is over time work to do. This past weekend was the first weekend he's been home in a month! This job is supposed to last until the fall, but he says that he may be working in lansing after this job. We shall see!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM

My husband is a booking officer/acting Sgt. He has been with the sheriff's office for 5 1/2 years. He works 84 hours one week and has the next week off. However, he also goes to school full time so even on his off week he is either catching up on sleep or doing school work. He also has trainings that he has to travel about 3 hours away on occasion.

skyisbluenow
by Group Admin on Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM

My SO is Active duty Marine

megan479
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM

DH is a long haul trucker, so he's all over the country.  he's been home the last month to help with the new baby, but usually he is gone for 12 days and back home for 2.  we're still fairly new to it, sonce he's only been with this company for 8 months and its a lot harder than i thought it would be....but it works out ok for us.

shaysmommy5810
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 2:05 AM

My husband is a chef at the local country club.  Cooking is his life, and even though it takes him away from me I appreciate the long hours and hard work, and sometimes weeks without a day off he puts in to support our family.

JeremysMom...I am SOOO sorry for you.  My dad just retired as Capt. from Jasper County S.O, and he had to deal with some crap, and my mom and him suffered for that job.  Mom hated his training days, they always took him far off and it always costed him time with her.  (((HUGS))) to you for holdin up so strong!

soontobemommy22
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My husband is a warehouse worker! I love his hours 11 am to 7:30pm

KelliansMom
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

my husband is a field engineer for siemes engery ...he fix/installs genoraters that run power plants ..it takes him all over north and south america and he is gone a min of two weeks or he can be gone for months at a time with one weekend amonth at home 

C8Baxter
by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM
My husband is a technical sales engineer...recently promoted to a management role. He works from 8/9 am and doesn't get home until 8. And he travels 1-2 weeks a month during the busy quarters. (2nd sales and 4th sales quarters)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaganMomma40
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 11:08 PM

My husband works in the gas and oil field. He's gone for 3 weeks out of the month and home for one. Sometimes we get a break and he can come home after work but more often than not he's away.

proudmommy690
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM

My DF is starting school tomorrow (monday) to be a truck driver..he'll be over the road.. I won't see him again for 3 or 4 months :( That is..if he passes his blood pressure stuff..

mountainmama69
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I'm so glad I found others!  My husband is a roughneck in the oil/gas field. He is on 2wks & off for 2wks. He works o.t. too  so he'll even work on his days off! Right now he is working an hour away, so he comes home every few days. 

thanks for being here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)