Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Freelance Writing?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

What inspired you to become a freelance writer?

Long story short, I started looking for ways to work from home not too long after my first child was born (about 4 years ago). I was scammed out of $50 from one website and quickly discovered how I needed to be careful. After a lot of research, I tried DiamondCreek Candles then later AmeriPlan. Neither fit my needs and I actually ended up losing, rather than making money.

Then one day I came across a post on a Cafe Mom group about writing for Examiner and the thought was very appealing to me. I had always enjoyed writing, but hadn't ever written professionally. Taking about a week to write up an article and apply, I was accepted to write for Examiner as the Salt Lake City Children's Toys Examiner.

That was in March 2010 and since then I have added four more Examiner titles and became a writer for Suite101, Bright Hub, Demand Media Studios, Odesk, Seed and more. I'm also hoping to land a couple parenting writer jobs here soon. I enjoy writing on a wide range of topics and the individuality of each website. I look forward to many more years of writing! It's truly a passion for me and keeps me learning.

Every mom has a passion for something, whether it's reading, sewing, photography, video-gaming, gardening, shopping, outdoor recreation. . . Mine is Writing!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ConnersMom03
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM

BUMP!

ErinHill226
by New Member on May. 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The thought of becoming a freelance writer appealed to me because the income potential is there, it's flexible, I actually (sort of) knew how to do it, and I like confusing people when they ask what I do...since no one knows what a copywriter is for some unexplained reason.

ConnersMom03
by Group Owner on May. 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

That's true, it is a flexible job and funny sometimes to explain to others. :)

theveryboredone
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I've always wanted to be a writer so it just fit. I enjoy journalism much more but love the freedom freelance offers. With my 2nd book about to be published, I am enjoying treading the waters of creative writing.

BabiWhite1011
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

ok im jealous ive written atleast two o r three books but then i get stuck nd put them up to collect dust ... somebody point mi n the right direction

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)