Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many hours does your state require?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM
  • 18 Replies

What state do you live in? How many hours per year does your state require for homeschooling?

Do you have a hard or easy time meeting that requirement?

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I'm in GA and our state requires 4.5 hours, 180 days a year.

I have no problem meeting it, we're unschoolers so I see very non traditional things as school. Also, we don't take months off for summer break. We will probably meet our attendance requires by the end of this month, but our learning won't stop just because we've met the states requirements. My requirement is "You never stop learning!"

I believe it was Eartha Kitt who said, "The tombstone will be my diploma."

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

MrsM121
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I homeschool in SC and we have three options for homeschooling.  I've chosen the third option which 1) is the most lenient and 2) keeps the state out of my business and our of my hair.

http://www.homewarded.com/legal_issues.htm

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM

We are in California- it's VERY lax if you registerd as a private school. I copied this off of HSDLA and narrowed out a bunchof the legal mumbo-jumbo.

Compulsory Attendance Ages: “between the ages of 6” by Dec. 2 & under 18 years of age.”

Required Days of Instruction: 175 days, only for public schools. - exempted for homeschoolers fiingthe private school affidavit.

Required Subjects: English and must “offer instruction in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools.” Grades 1-6: English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, physical education.

Home Schools have 4 options:
Option 1. Under § 48222, the individual home school could qualify as a private school by filing an annual private school affidavit: The instructors must be capable of teaching; The instruction must be in English; The instruction must be in the several branches of study required in public schools; Attendance must be kept in a register; and e. A private school affidavit must be filed with the Superintendent of Public Instruction between Oct. 1 and Oct. 15 of each school year.

Option 2. Homeschoolers could enroll in a private school satellite program and "homeschool” through that private school.

Option 3. The home school could have instruction provided by a certified private tutor

Option 4. The child could be enrolled in an independent study program at home, using the public school curriculum. Under this option, the child is considered a public school student
and has to abide by the rules and policy of the public school.

Teacher Qualifications: None, if home school registers as a private school or enrolls in a private school satellite program. Certification is necessary only if the home school parent chooses to qualify as a private tutor.

Standardized Tests: Not required by statute.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

cedailey
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The state of TX require nothing of me but a good faith effort to teach reading, spelling, grammar, math and good citizenship.

mayfinnknitter
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM

We are required to have 180 days, no hour requirements, and no subject requirements. We are unschoolers also, and school year round.

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2011 at 3:35 AM

From what I have read, It depends on what covering school you use, and what program they are registered with. One of them required only 145 days, the other 180.  We'll likely look into the one with more days.  Alabama is pretty anti-home school it seems.

I am still very new to this, and have only JUST started researching.  My kids are only 2, but we plan to start the pre-k stuff at or right before three.  I'm trying to learn the laws and loopholes here, because by age 7 attendance is compulsory.  They are tough on homeschooling here...needless to say, I'm already a nervous wreck about elementary years and we are no where near them yet....ACK!

Christine0813
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Ohio, at least 900 hours.

ziff130
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Quoting MrsM121:

I homeschool in SC and we have three options for homeschooling.  I've chosen the third option which 1) is the most lenient and 2) keeps the state out of my business and our of my hair.

http://www.homewarded.com/legal_issues.htm

We do the first option (I'm in SC too). With the first option we do 4.5 hrs/day 180 days/year. It's really pretty easy to meet the requirements. We did it for 4-K to make sure it was possible for us.

Melissa6705
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:33 AM
I am in Texas also and love the rules.

Quoting cedailey:

The state of TX require nothing of me but a good faith effort to teach reading, spelling, grammar, math and good citizenship.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on May. 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

we are in oregon

hmm i dont know i dont think we are required to have any hours or days

ive never looked!

debbie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)