Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many hours does your state require?

Posted by   + Show Post

What state do you live in? How many hours per year does your state require for homeschooling?

Do you have a hard or easy time meeting that requirement?

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Replies (11-18):
LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I live in British Columbia, where we have the most amazing law.

Since it was resolved that the Ministry of Education is accountable to parents for the quality of their child's education, it does not follow that any parent who chooses to retain responsibility for their child's education would be accountable to the Ministry. So they're not.

We are required to register all children between 6 and 16, and otherwise we are required to provide 'an education' and failing to do so is considered to be a matter of social services, not the Ministry of Education.

So, my kids were unschooled, all the way from birth to college (and, right back to it afterwards)... Some days they did nothing but things that would look 'educational' to that kind of snoop... and some weeks they never went near it for a moment.

scrapin_mom
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I live in MO and we have to have 1000 hours. Only 600 of those have to be in the 5 core subjects (Reading, math, social studies, language arts, and science) then 400 of the 600 have to be at home (or regular homeschool location). School age is 7 so I only have to keep track of it all for one child right now.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Wyoming.  Our state doesn't have an hour requirement, just days, 180.  We find it very easy to meet that requirement.  We also "school" year round, though not as rigidly through the summer so the kids have time to play with their friends who are only "free" for a little while :).

Mamagirlz
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

We are from IN and our state doesn't require hours.  We just have to keep a journal or something for 180 days.  Just tell what you did that day and keep it for 2 years.

Gumberly
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM
I live in Oregon too. They have no day or hours requirement but we have to do testing at 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 11th (I believe I may be off on the last two grades). My oldest is only K level so I have no experience with the testing yet.
jeng1980
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I'm in GA.  4 hours for 180 days for the whole year.  During the summer we still do school.  We do lots of playdates with friends and include crafts and such in that and we consider that school days.  We average 4 hours a day very easily.  I consider non-traditional things as part of the learning process too.  This was my first year homeschooling and I've really realized how natural learning is if you just let it happen.  It is amazing what the human mind does without even trying.

tcollins11
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM

we are in wa do ing wava first grade is 4hrs a day we can get more its not too hard meeting this requirement

Xakana
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I'm in MO and copied this because I hadn't looked it up yet, since my kids aren't at the age of compulsary education yet, though I have my 4.5 year old doing kindergarten. She'll probably be in third grade before I have to register her and start keeping logs. The log thing really bugs me, since I'm pretty disorganized and terrible at record keeping.

Quoting scrapin_mom:

I live in MO and we have to have 1000 hours. Only 600 of those have to be in the 5 core subjects (Reading, math, social studies, language arts, and science) then 400 of the 600 have to be at home (or regular homeschool location). School age is 7 so I only have to keep track of it all for one child right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN