Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HSLDA - Homeschool Legal Defense Association

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

Is anyone here a member?  I'm not but I've heard it is a good idea to join if you feel you might have problems legally homeschooling.

If your interested in them you can go to their website at http://www.hslda.org/.

by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on Apr. 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I am a member.

We pay just $10/mo and it's totally worth it.

There are more benefits than just having legal repersentation in case you need it. I hope I never need it. But by joining I also support other homeshcoolers who do run into problems and also support all homeschoolers as HSLDA watches for cases that may cause hoeschoolers to loose rights. Though it might not be a case I'm involved in, each case involving homeschooing has the potential to impact ALL homeschoolers. Even if it's not a case in my state.

Once one state makes homeschooling illegal, it will slowly become illegal in every state.

It's important to me to support homeschooling legally from that standpoint.

They also have tons of resources. You can call them and ask them about much more than just legal questions. You can ask them about actually homeschooling, like how to teach, resources, etc. THey have a speical needs newsletter, 2 general homeschooling newsletters (divided by age of the children you are homeschooling), discounts at hotels, plus free at home e-vents.

Just this week I attended a FREE 1 1/2 at home e-event that told you what to do if a social worker, police or other goverenment offical turns up at your door. He went over what to do, what not ot do, most common reasons people call DFACS or CPS on homeschooling families, gave us links to find out our state laws, and answered questions we had.

IMHO it is worth way more than the $10/mo I pay for it.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MommaChell
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Great link, thanks MrsM; bookmarked. That's helpful info Sonita, thanks for sharing!

~: Momma Chell :~

SimplySonita
by on May. 1, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I also forgot to mention you get discounts like 20% discount on hotels, plus discounts on magazine subscriptions, car rentals, etc.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Quoting SimplySonita:

I also forgot to mention you get discounts like 20% discount on hotels, plus discounts on magazine subscriptions, car rentals, etc.

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

Wow, I wouldn't have thought...good to know!

SimplySonita
by on May. 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Yeah I thought it was just legal in case you got in trouble but it's so much more!

They have a members only books store, curriculum market where you can buy and sell used curriculum, they have a civics/polital org for kids 11-19 to get involved in, contests for homeschoolers (poety, art and such), a bi-monthly magazine you get in the mail, newsletters for where you are homeschooling (SN, early, high school, etc) you can all for any homeschool legal questions (not just if there is a social worker at your door), discount on Creation Museum tickets, and I haven't looked into it, but they have discounts on home/auto ins too!

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting SimplySonita: