Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HSLDA - Homeschool Legal Defense Association

Posted by   + Show Post

Is anyone here a member?  I'm not but I've heard it is a good idea to join if you feel you might have problems legally homeschooling.

If your interested in them you can go to their website at http://www.hslda.org/.

by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Replies (11-15):
oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM

nope not a memeber

debbie

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I wouldn't join them for a million dollars and a free kitten.

They are involved in activities (activist and lobbying) that has absolutely nothing at all to do with children's education, and believe that unschooling should be illegal. So, they wouldn't have ever supported me anyhow (not the least because I would never sign their religious covenant, not even for free legal representation, because I'm not a hypocrite)...

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM

We absolutely are members.

katzmeow726
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM

We are.  A lot of the churches that cover home school families here in alabama require it.  Even though our church does not, we still think it is a good idea.

Mamagirlz
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I'm a member and didn't even know all of this.  I'll have to search there site now to look into it.

Quoting SimplySonita:

Yeah I thought it was just legal in case you got in trouble but it's so much more!

They have a members only books store, curriculum market where you can buy and sell used curriculum, they have a civics/polital org for kids 11-19 to get involved in, contests for homeschoolers (poety, art and such), a bi-monthly magazine you get in the mail, newsletters for where you are homeschooling (SN, early, high school, etc) you can all for any homeschool legal questions (not just if there is a social worker at your door), discount on Creation Museum tickets, and I haven't looked into it, but they have discounts on home/auto ins too!

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting SimplySonita:

I also forgot to mention you get discounts like 20% discount on hotels, plus discounts on magazine subscriptions, car rentals, etc.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group