Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What style education do you use in your homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are currently Christian unschoolers. We love it!

My kids are so curious and love learning so child led is totally working for us.

We do use some curriculum, have taken classes, use lots of living books, nature walks, field trips, experiments, netflix and tons of free websites.

What style appraoch do you use?

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on Apr. 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-19):
krazymama4
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

we do a mix of schooling with alot of the head of the class thrown in

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM

We are Classical homeschoolers.  The Well-Trained Mind is my homeschooling bible.

Xakana
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Very ecclectic. Mostly online resources paired with unschooling and natural world education. Our four year old loves listening to us explain everything and we apparently love explaining, lol (as in, like the answer to "What's that? What does it do? Why?"). They watch some documentary stuff on Netflix with me (I'm hoping they'll be able to follow more when they're older).

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I would say relaxed....

We would love to be unschoolers but I haven't learned yet how to completely let go.  :)  Slowly... I get a little more relaxed every year but still use workbooks :) 

Carey

TroyboysMom
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I would have to say eclectic. We have structured days, and certain subjects on those days, but our areas of interest and emphasis are child-led. I use many online resources, and design most of our accompanying pieces myself.

wowguildmomma
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

We are Classical homeschoolers.  The Well-Trained Mind is my homeschooling bible.

I keep hearing about this book and I can't ever get my hands on the ONE copy my public library has. I am curious about it so hopefully I can maybe bribe DH into gifting it to me for my birthday or something. (He prefers more special gifts over useful.)

misselphaba
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Actually, I think we aren't hardcore unschoolers.  We are child led.  My kids like doing schoolwork sometimes, so we do it.  Right now, my son wants to do some unit studies, so we are going to do it.  Unit studies is basically what we do anyway (learning all about whatever we want), but he wants the printouts and lapbooks.  If he decides he doesn't want to do the unit studies, we'll stop.  Or he can stop and my daughter can keep doing them. 

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

We are currently using a Unit Study Curriculum, be we are eclectic, and I am more unschooling for the summer...just as long as they are learning!

oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM

ive always used unit studies, but we do just about all the types of learning styles there are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN