Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

peeking  duh duh duuuhhhhh

How many times do you have to explain that your children really are able to deal with other people and aren't shelted in a cave hideout somewhere since you homeschool?

by on Apr. 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Replies (11-17):
SimplySonita
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand, socialization CAN be an issue, but-too many people act like it's an issue for EVERY homeschoolfamily, and it's just not, in fact I hear very few homeschoolers say it is, I'm more likely to hear they are OVER socialized and have too many activies!

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

LOL, all the time!!!!!! Also, no matter how much I tell them we do (co-ops, daily PE, field trips, luncheons, group libraries) I always here how that is not enough social interaction! I have stopped explaining myself to people. Tired of it, I'm not going to defend what we do anymore. I know without a doubt we are doing it to the best of our ability, we are learning, the kids are happy. The only person I need to prove anything to is myself :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My favorite times are when the kids are playing happily with the kids at soccer.  LOL,  Dude, they are socializing right now!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Pretty much every time I tell someone new. Both DH & I go on to tell people that socialization is one of the reasons we are homeschooling...pretty funny once we point out examples.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We've started replying with...well, what exactly does that mean? And most people seem to have no idea how to answer.  It's like an automated response that they just don't think about.

tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Not often, my dad made a comment once, then I told him about the homeschool coop we joined, he was still apprehensive, but if he saw my kids at the playground, being complimented on how polite they are playing with kids of all ages, races and abilities and chatting away with the moms and dads even, I'm sure he wouldnt question my decision as much!! lol
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Instead of explaining, why not just feed into their fears...

"Yeah, their Dad likes to keep them chained up in the basement, but we get out once in a while."
or...

"Well, we are in the process of excavating for our fully functional and independent bunker.   We plan on staying below the surface for most of our lives and only coming up top to resupply or kidnap... I mean, find the kids spouses."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)