Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you school year round?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM
  • 10 Replies

We're about done for the state this year (YAY) with our 180 days but we'll just keep learning :) Once my son finishes his 180, we'll say he's in "2nd grade" but I just don't put much stock in "grades"

Last time someone asked my 7 year old (2-3 months ago)-he didn't even know what grade he was in! LOL

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsM121
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 6:30 AM

My daughter is going to be starting high school next year but they are pretty much the same way for grades.  Heck I even have a hard time remembering what 'grade' they are in.  We get very laid back in the summertime without a doubt but we don't really stop.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Yeah my kids are very young, courious and trying to figure out how the world works, they don't stop wondering just because it's summer at the beach

MommaChell
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I'm a firm believer in year-round schooling. No harm in taking some time off here and there to get away or just bum around; the kids natural bring learning into their everyday no matter what our agenda is.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I want to, but my daughter's biological father now wants her for the ENTIRE summer. =/

mommygirls2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I do things all year round.  The summer is definitely more laid back though.  We live in MN and the winter is long so when we can finally spend some time outside we do.  This year both of my girls are reading so that is something we will be doing diligently.

Gumberly
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM
I school year round. We take "breaks" but taking three months off to me would be pointless. In the summer we have some weeks where there may be more days that we dont use our curriculum but even if it's just crawling through the grass chasing a bug there is still learning righ?
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM

i think we will . dd is only 4 so we are just now really getting into school. our breaks will probably be around christmas mostly so we can spend time with family but there will still be learning going on.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Quoting Gumberly:

I school year round. We take "breaks" but taking three months off to me would be pointless. In the summer we have some weeks where there may be more days that we dont use our curriculum but even if it's just crawling through the grass chasing a bug there is still learning righ?

Exactly (says the unschooler! LOL)

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I think when/if we do home school we will do year around but get a bit relaxed during the summer. But not to relaxed.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Just an example-my kids did some school on EASTER! BY REQUEST!

So I subtracted that time from today's school time...gae them more free time to play outside in hte nice weather today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)