Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Once a month cooking?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you do it?  Know what it is?

I do it to a point, mostly with my children's breakfast foods but not much else.

by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaChell
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I believe you're referring to pre-making certain foods and then freezing them. If so, I'd much enjoy doing that, since I prefer to cook when I'm in the mood. Only thing holding me up is freezer space. We're planning to get a freezer soon, so I look forward to utilizing it! I'm not motivated to cook in the morning either :S

MrsM121
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Yes, once a month cooking it making several full sized meals, like soups or casseroles or breads and freezing them for later eating.

For example you can cook several whole chickens at once and take the meat off the bones and use some of it for BBQ, some of it for chicken and gravy or mix it with spices for Mexican type meals.  Or you can make several lasagna's and freeze some of them assembled but not cooked and then cook them when you are ready to eat them.  You can also break down larger meals like lasagna to smaller individual servings and freeze them like that too.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM

i should start doing that! it is really a great idea!especially the breakfast foods. what kinds of things do you make ahead for breakfast?

MrsM121
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM

I make pancakes, waffles, - plain and with fruit or chocolate chips, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, corn meal lots of variety.

breakfast wraps - scramble eggs with your choice of fillings (meat cheese veggie) add about 2/3 - 1 cup of filling in the middle of the burrito (I use the large flour ones) and wrap securely and freeze.  Reheat in microwave.  I'm not a fan of how these come out but my kids love them. 

English muffins filled with eggs/meat/cheese (scramble the eggs, dump eggs and other ingredients in 13x9, bake in oven til done, cut to size I want, split and fill muffin, wrap in either plastic wrap or waxed paper and then plastic wrap, bag and freeze, reheat in microwave until hot)

English muffins filled with a cream cheese and fruit mixture (soften a few boxes of cream cheese and use mixer to make smooth, add defrosted frozen fruit - strawberry or blueberry, mix again until smooth or for semi chunky use potato masher, add powdered sugar to thicken up - amount depends on personal preference.  Split muffins and spoon enough to cover bottom piece. Put both pieces together and store like you would the egg muffins.

Before my mixer broke I used to make my kids smoothies with plain yougurt, fruit and honey and freeze them in small individual sized containers.  That way I was the one controling the sugar and the fruit was really fruit not bit and pieces here and there.

Another thing I just remember which isn't really cooking ahead was when my kids were little and me and daddy wanted to sleep in past 7am (cartoons...) I would take cereal and put one or two servings into ziplock bags and use small bottles to hold enough milk for their cereal.  All they had to do was dump the cereal into the bowl and pour their own milk and me and daddy got an extra 30 minutes, until someone kicked a bowl over :).

Quoting twyliatepeka:

i should start doing that! it is really a great idea!especially the breakfast foods. what kinds of things do you make ahead for breakfast?

Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Do any of you ladies actually do this and you have recipes anything sure about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Never done it...always wanted to though.  Freezer space is a problem.  Also I think it would require a fair amount of organization....which I have very little of!  LOL!

sls417
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Once in a while, but not like I used to.  I make triple batches of pancakes, waffles, cookies, muffins, and brownies so there are always hot breakfasts for the kids.  Snacks are for my DH's lunch and snack time.  I mix up burger patties and meatloaf mix (raw) for quick dinners.  I cook ground beef and freeze it for tacos and chili.  Mostly just the prep work.  Once in a while, I'll make some freezer casseroles.  

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I would LOVE to do this, and keep meaning to, but never organize myself enough to do it.  

superwoman0105
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I don't do once a month cooking but I do a monthly meal plan and plan out all of my meals for the month.  With that plan, I have a motto, "If it ain't cooked in a crock pot or baked in an oven, I don't do it!"  This motto saves me tons of time since I have three sons at home, with two of those under 4 and one second grader that I am homeschooling 5 hours a day.  

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I have done this and I actually prefer it.  My family likes to have something good for dinner everynight.  I also cook one meal a week outside of this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN