Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading books

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

Do you have a lot of books in your house for your children to read?  Do they have open access to them?  Can they just pick and choose what they want to read and when?

My kids have books that range from beginner books to college books.  They have access to them 24/7.  I don't limit their access to any of them even the ones that have explicit pictures of bodies, like with reproduction sketches and such. 

by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommaChell
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM

For now, our kids library is out of reach to them only because of our littlest one. They can view all the books and can read any of them when they like, upon asking. They're age appropriate since my kids are just starting to read. I'm currently working on their library, so any recommendations would happily be welcomed!

MrsM121
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM

My children love(d) series type books.  The Clifford books, Bearnstein Bears, Magic School Bus books, Dr. Seuss, Scooby Doo books.  Books where the characters are familiar to them. 

As they got a bit older Magic Tree House and the Nancy Drew type series books.  They really enjoyed the Animorph books and had me read them for hours on end.  They also enjoyed the 'create your own ending' type of books, although I'd suggest that if you choose to get those you read them before you buy them to see if that is what you want your kids reading.  My daughter ofen shocked me with some of the endings....

Oh and animal books are always a hit.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:05 AM

we have a couple of shelves of books. we have all types of books& she has access to them any time she wants them. our library is still under construction i hope to need big floor to ceiling shelves for all of the books i plan to collect :)

TroyboysMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM

DS has a large book "unit" in his room with picture-junior high level books. They are arranged by genre, and he has 24/7 access. He also has a bookshelf next to his desk with more books, mostly educational. We also have a large bookshelf in the living room, and another in the kitchen, that he has 24/7 access to.

Books that we feel are inappropriate are kept in the bookshelves in our bedroom.

swim-mom72
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Both of my boys have bookshelves in their room full of pleasure reading and special interest books. We use our office as the school room and the books shelves are full of literature, reference books and school materials. We also have files on the office computer with ebooks in them. And we share a Nook. And all of these books are available to them any time. The only books off limits are the ones in mine and hubby's bedroom.

JenA123
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM

My kids have grown up on books...I have 4 almost floor to ceiling bookshelves that they have access too from as soon as they are mobile.  I sometimes put the curriculum books up to 'surprise them' with something new at times...but other wise they always have access.  I teach them respect for the books too, and have hardly had any issues even at early ages of them ripping them or mistreating them.  My kids LOVE books, even my 6mos old is drawn to them. lol  My husband and I are both really big readers.  We cleaned out a bunch of books when we moved, I cashed them in for credits at books stores and have recently joined paperbackswap as well, but my philosophy is you can never have too many books!  I'm also an Usborne Books Rep!  lol  DH and I just got Kobo Ereaders recently to try and cut down on our book collection, but I still find myself buying the real thing occasionaly.

SouthernMama08
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Do we EVER!  I think my house is being taken over by BOOKS!  My son doesn't have access to all of them all the time, simply because I don't have room!  But we keep about 30 out at all time that he can get to anytime he wants.  And I rotate about every 2 months.

MrsM121
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I was on the library website yesterday and next month they have a sale weekend at the main library!  I know I shouldn't but resisting will be hard...and I'm already saving up LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)