Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Libraries

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

How often do you go to the library with your kids?  How many books to you check out at a time?

The first year I homeschooled I literally got everything from the library!  I love our library system here. 

by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM

On average we go once a week

How many books? Well, I take a bag with me (sometime 2) to return books and carry new ones home. and I've maxed out my library card more than once. And with a $0.10/day fine I have more than once accured a $20 fine surprised

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MrsM121
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Our fine limit is $10 and I've maxed mine out to the point of nearly $150.  We don't have a limit on how many books you have and it's easy to get out of hand.

MommaChell
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Since we moved I haven't visited the library yet (vehicle issues). It'll be a new one for us and I'm looking forward to exploring it with the kids. It seems as though it may be and upgrade! Luckily we've stayed on top of our return dates and haven't had to pay any. It's eeeeeeasy to get carried away.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM

we go to the library sporadically, but I love our library & would be very sad if ever they had to close.

SCmomof3girls
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM

We try to go once a week, but have been slacking these past few. I do not make the kids go if they do not want to, and they have not wanted to a couple weeks now. I have been though. We generally have anywhere from 20-50 books/movies/audiobooks/music CD's out at a time. This includes learning books and reading for fun books, and it is for 4 people on 1 card. I can view everything online, so I keep us all on 1 account instead of having to log into 4 different ones. The only thing they limit is movies (5 at a time) and music/audiobooks (also 5 at a time). I just looked....we have 33 items out right now, lol....5 movies, 4 books for me and the rest are books for the kids.

oredeb
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM

my first year i also got everything from the library, cuz they didnt have internet then!hahahah even now i always check out lots of books each time, so many good ones! i find them online and go pick them up half the time, but i love to go to the library and look thru the shelves the best!l

library fines! i think of them as donations to the library! i owe them 7.25 now!!

Danielle163
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Our library is severely lacking. I buy all of our books from Amazon.

Gumberly
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM
For the longest time I had a severe aversion to the library. I honestly don't know why because as a child I remember getting my very first library card as a huge deal and loved to go.
I finally over came my issues the first part of this year and started going and taking the kids (although I only take all three if my DH is going). My DS loves picking out books but more often then not forgets about them once he gets home so I only let him get 2 comic book style (he loves star wars and so wants to bring home the whole shelf) and then the rest have to be ones we can read together. He doesn't seem to mind since he also loves nature books and those I don't limit.
I average 25 books a trip because my library limits to 30. I reserve them before I go so when we get there I can help the kids pick books and not have to worry about hunting for the books I need for school. Plus my library doesn't have a huge selection so most of the books come from different libraries in the county.
Right now all my personal reading is either purchased or downloaded to my nook. I dont like having to worry about getting a book read in 30 days, it's just too much pressure lol.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM
We go every other week. Our library allows homeschoolers to get a teacher card. It essentially eliminates over due fees. Hooray!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Our library lost a lot of money in budget cuts, so they put our limit at 20 books now.  We *could* get the kids library cards, but then that would be 60 books and really, over 20 gets too be too many here.  We put books on hold, and the library is just down the street.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)