Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Special Needs/LD

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM
  • 6 Replies

Anyone have a child with SN or LD?

y oldest has SPD/ADHD (we think-still waiting on many more doctor's appointments) but he def has issues.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommaChell
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM

No, I haven't had anything with my children. I'm not familiar with the diagnosis, or anyone with them. When did you first see signs? Does it dramatically affect his ability to work/focus?

MrsM121
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:11 AM

I've never dealt with this so I can't really offer any help.  I hope that you can cope and overcall any and all obsticles that come your way and your children can do the same.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM

My 2nd oldest has low-functioning autism.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Chell-years ago we noticed 'quirks' as I call them. They weren't too big of a deal so we didn't bother with diagnosis. I knew I wouldn't put him on meds for ADHD, so I saw no point in getting a Dx if I wasn't going to treat it.

As he got older something that I thought were just him being 'young' he didn't outgrow like his HUGE fear of haircuts-it's a sensory issue with the hairs landing on his skin and poking him. He just can't stand it-it hurts him-usually hair cuts (at 7 years old) still end in tears and him being so upset he's just shaking. He won't wear any shoes but crocs. At 7 he still doesn't notice he has food all over his face and needs to wipe it (though he does it as habit now after meals-he still doesn't feel the food on his face) There is more-but that gives you an idea.

Mrs M - we are coping. Homeschoolign has helped a LOT-it's much easier for him that PS.

Livin-does (s)he have sensory issues as well? I know SPD (or SID) is commonly seen in conjustion with Autism (as well as ADHD, CP, etc)

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Yes he does. His are actually quite severe.

Koltie6
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I have a 6year old son who has Autism. It can be overwhelming at times.We were very fortunate to meet a therapist who referred us to a Dr in Austin Texas who has changed our lives.please research all you can .there are many underlying causes for your child's behaviors.You must treat the causes not just the symptoms.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN