Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often do you have your kids helping in the kitchen? What type of foods do they make or help you with? Do they use the stove-top & other appliances? 

I'd love to have my kids in the kitchen more, but it can be a challenge. Any suggestions on working with multiples, whats worked for you?

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I need to start doing more kitchen cooking so I hope to have him more involved he loves to cook

BlessedMoments
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Mine help with everything! I do all of the cutting/chopping, of course, but they help measure, pour, stir, etc... They love it!
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM

My kids are 7, 6, 4 and 3.   My 4 and 3 year old help me with baking. 

My 6 and 7 year olds can cook whole meals.  I just have to be there to supervise and ensure they have the recipe.  We are starting to let each child have a cooking night where they plan the meal (with my approval) and cook the dinner. I do not let them work with grease because it pops but the girls can bake, and cook just about anything.  I stay in there to ensure safety and proper hand washing. 

So my tip is give each child a night of the week to help.  Having them all in there when they are young all at once is chaos in my house.

blueyedbaker
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We love to bake together. I started a baking class with them 2 years ago. They both have to make a list of different types of desserts they want to make. We also do the same thing with dinner. We have a huge kitchen so my girls have their own side on the kitchen island so that cuts down on the fighting.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

My kids help with every meal. DD12 can handle all of the kitchen appliances.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I so admire you guys who are totally cool with the kids being in the kitchen.  I can handle it IF it's something I planned out and not them asking while I'm making something for dinner.  I can't stand the chaos and then having to back down and show them how to do things or get it all done when it needs to get done.  My 6yo asked me last night if he could cook pancakes in the morning.  Great, that I can do.  When he asked on Saturday morning, when it's our big pancake/eggs/bacon breakfast, no can do fondue.  But I taught him how to crack an egg the right way (he was crushing the eggs), so I'm proud of myself.  I want my kids to learn to cook from me, but I can't handle the 5 of them getting in the way and begging for this that and the other.  Scheduled times, that's the way to go!

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

DS comes in and helps occasionally.  I let him use the microwave.  He can help me stir pots and such, but only if I am right there with him.  He is 7 and not very interested in it right now, not that I blame him.  I can't stand cooking either. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

This post just made me want to have my daughter make something in the kitchen LOL.  Hmmm...I think a random baking day is in order now lol.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM

It's funny I was reading this and realized we had cookies to bake.  So that is what we have been doing this afternoon.

Quoting armygirl16:

This post just made me want to have my daughter make something in the kitchen LOL.  Hmmm...I think a random baking day is in order now lol.  

amanda.lyn
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
My teen cooks, my preschooler stirs and dumps stuff into the bowl. I encourage them helping!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN