Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often do you have your kids helping in the kitchen? What type of foods do they make or help you with? Do they use the stove-top & other appliances? 

I'd love to have my kids in the kitchen more, but it can be a challenge. Any suggestions on working with multiples, whats worked for you?

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Replies (21-24):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I don't have them in the kitchen nearly enough.  I wish I had the patience with them in the kitchen like I do elsewhere.  My SO and I are SUPER picky about hygeine in the kitchen (more so than when I was growing up).  I want them to learn....I just don't know how to go about it.

I had to learn at such a young age to cook and take care of household responsibilities.  I think this is where I am also having issues.  I was my ODD's age (7) when I had to do this.  I just want them to be kids for as long as possible.  I think that learning to cook and bake is something that is necessary.

I think I may start with each of them picking a meal that they enjoy eating and helping me to make it once a month. 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM

All four of them know how to cut, and cook basic things.  They usually are doing their own hot breakfasts and lunches and while they can cook certain things for dinners I prefer to take over that meal most of the time.

I started baking and cooking with them when they were really little and then over time I would pull them in one at a time showing them how to fix this or that, or having them cook using a recipe with me just there watching over them.

As for cleaning it's split to where I don't have to worry about it as much as when they were all little.  While it's nice that they all know how to cook and use the kitchen, it's also stressful that they can create such messes and not think of cleaning them before they get stuck on.  The kitchen is now a group effort to keep clean.

oahoah
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My oldest is almost 9 and once a month or so he'll want to make waffles or pancakes for breakfast so I will talk him through everything & stand beside him to help but he does most everything on his own.  My 6 & 4 y/o like to help with baking and have also helped with peeling, shredding, and even some slicing, all under my close supervision.  I will occasionally let the 6 y/o flip a pancake or egg.  They are all proficient with the microwave, although that isn't really cooking. They can reheat  food and make popcorn and this is with just verbal instruction, most of the time. 

Counterwise we are a little tight but I can usually have the 4 & 6 y/o on chairs to help me if they both want to at the same time, otherwise we'll just alternate. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

My kids LOVE helping in the kitchen.  They are allowed to help with everything, although the stove and knives are used with supervision.  Also my oven is up kind of high, so I take things out of the oven and often put them in as well.  I have a small kitchen, so usually they take turns helping.  If we're baking then they take turns adding ingredients.  Slows the process but they love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)