Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tornadoes, hurricanes, what's your storm?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM
  • 30 Replies

I live in the southeast so we get hurricanes here, very rarely tornadoes. 

What do you do to get your kids prepared incase something major happens?

For hurricanes we just have enough food and water on hand for about 2-3 weeks, plus candles and a stocked first aid kit.  And saws for trees.

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Here in GA it's tornadoes.

Honestly-we don't really do anything to 'prepare' we just keep an eye on the weather and are ready to find a safe place if needed.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM

We are in earthquake country. We live about 5 miles from the famed "San Andreas "Fault"

With DH being a police officer on the oppostie side of the fault line (down in Los Amgeles) I know that in a true catastrophic earthquake, like Japans, I would be the only one home for days, if not weeks to take care of the kids.We have plenty of food and water for about 2 weeks. However, my parents live another 45 minutes from up up in the mountains and they have their own well and generators, as well as lots game to hunt if it came dow nto that so we would only stay here for 1 week before heading up to my parent's house.

My kids are all older, so not like I have babies to deal with. The boys and I each each have a hiking pack that we use for their monthly boy scout campouts. It  has a day's worth of emergency food and snacks, change of clithes, their sleeping bags and pads, toiletries, gloves & beanies etc, pocketknives, flashlights etc.  DD also has the same but only a small daypack as she is only 8yo.

We have talked extensively in Scouts and at home about what to do inan emergency. As a matter of fact, I'm a merit badge counselor for Emergency Preparedness and I'm working with a couple boys today.

MrsM121
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I hope and pray we never have a major earthquake here.  There have been small ones here and there but never enough to do damage but it is possible since the city was pretty much flattened in 1886.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We are in earthquake country. We live about 5 miles from the famed "San Andreas "Fault"

With DH being a police officer on the oppostie side of the fault line (down in Los Amgeles) I know that in a true catastrophic earthquake, like Japans, I would be the only one home for days, if not weeks to take care of the kids.We have plenty of food and water for about 2 weeks. However, my parents live another 45 minutes from up up in the mountains and they have their own well and generators, as well as lots game to hunt if it came dow nto that so we would only stay here for 1 week before heading up to my parent's house.

My kids are all older, so not like I have babies to deal with. The boys and I each each have a hiking pack that we use for their monthly boy scout campouts. It  has a day's worth of emergency food and snacks, change of clithes, their sleeping bags and pads, toiletries, gloves & beanies etc, pocketknives, flashlights etc.  DD also has the same but only a small daypack as she is only 8yo.

We have talked extensively in Scouts and at home about what to do inan emergency. As a matter of fact, I'm a merit badge counselor for Emergency Preparedness and I'm working with a couple boys today.

MrsM121
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM

We had a confirmed tornado a few miles from here just a few weeks ago.  I've never seen anything more than a dust devil and a few water spouts through and hope I never do.  I honestly wonder if those storm chases should be mentally evaluated sometimes LOL.

Quoting SimplySonita:

Here in GA it's tornadoes.

Honestly-we don't really do anything to 'prepare' we just keep an eye on the weather and are ready to find a safe place if needed.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM

There really isn't much here.

We are in an area where we can get tornadoes, floods and wildfires but we don't see them often here.

MrsM121
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Your lucky.  I just jumped all over my husband last night cause he was getting ready to dump all the water out of one of the jugs I just got done changing.  It's insane.  I know the water is good but it's old and it taste old so I'm using the old water to water plants and using it when I change out my fishes water and filling it will new fresh water but dang it, there is so much water!!!  It's a pain.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

There really isn't much here.

We are in an area where we can get tornadoes, floods and wildfires but we don't see them often here.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM
We get wildfires. Out here too. We almost lost my parent's house to a huge wildfire in 2004. It burned up to 10 feet around it in places and it was only saved by the retardant dropping helicopters. We would watch it on the news...Nlooks like the house is gone...OMG..look its there! It was like a yo-yo for hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsM121
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We get wildfires. Out here too. We almost lost my parent's house to a huge wildfire in 2004. It burned up to 10 feet around it in places and it was only saved by the retardant dropping helicopters. We would watch it on the news...Nlooks like the house is gone...OMG..look its there! It was like a yo-yo for hours.

Wild fires scare me.  My best friends husband is a fire chief and the very idea of him or any of them being out in something like that it horrifing, can't fathom living through it!

Simply_Janeen
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM

We get tornadoes here, actually got a tornado in my town about 2 years ago, same day as Joplin. I keep thinking it could have easily been us had the tornado been larger. Thankfully at the highest it was an EF 2 and so while there was a bit of damage in some parents of town, amazingly NO injuries or deaths though a number of very close calls (including a bus that ran smack into the tornado on its route). Ours touchdown near a hospital too so again, I just think how much worse it could have been if it had been an EF 5 like Joplin's especially since my town is the same size.

I was pretty prepared to hit shelter by the time the sirens went off. I had been watching a storm cell that had been dropping tornadoes and realized that we were directly in the path of the storm. That was probably an hour before it hit. But to be honest, I'm probably not as ready as I should be (though at least now we have a weather radio) in the event that we get hit really bad.

Janeen

Homeschooling mom to my two girls: Natalie (6) and Isabelle (2).

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Earthquakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)