Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tornadoes, hurricanes, what's your storm?

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in the southeast so we get hurricanes here, very rarely tornadoes. 

What do you do to get your kids prepared incase something major happens?

For hurricanes we just have enough food and water on hand for about 2-3 weeks, plus candles and a stocked first aid kit.  And saws for trees.

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

We get tornadoes in north Alabama where I live. We have a weather radio, flashlights, lantern, and generator.  We have a designated place to take cover when the alarms go off.  A couple of years ago tornadoes came through our area and we were without power for several days, but we were fortunate that the tornado did not hit our neighborhood.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Hmm here in OH we get tornados

Just keep an eye on the weather.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Hurricanes here. We do the usual to prepare. We rode out Katrina and then Isaac this fall. I left for Gustav and couldn't get home for about a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

We are very lucky when it comes to natural disasters.  We had a good earthquake 15 years ago or so, but they are very rare.  Probably the only thing we ever have to worry about is fires, and even those dont come too terribly close. 

I hate strong winds.  Growing up we went through a few storms, (Hurricane Gloria in '85 and some other pretty strong wind storms throughout the years).  Anyway, I'm terrified of the wind, so when we moved to the south for two years I panicked every time the tornado warning went off.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I live in NY.  We rarely have any major storms or disasters.  But recently we're getting earthquakes, hurricanes, AND tornadoes.  WTF??

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

We live in Alabama and get torndoes and straight line winds. 

We don't do anything to prepare except watch the weather and be ready to leave in a moment's notice (we live in mobile home).  If I know that tornado weather is coming, I do pack up my computer to take with me.  I also make sure the kids all have at least a jacket in the car and they are fully clothed (no PJs) in case something were to happen.  I really need to start packing a suitcase for everyone with an extra pair of clothing and for my first aid stuff....

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

well yesterday we had a mini tornado, not in oregon but right across the river from us in vancouver washington, wiped out someones barn

iknitsweatersyo
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
We live in Louisiana so we get tornados and hurricanes. Im so scared of tornados so thankfully weve never had one close to us but when katrina hit we were out of power for days and flooded so we couldnt get out of our house
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kat0038
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We live in Georgia and had a tornado form over our house but never made land fall. We have a basement with supplies, but this last storm system we didn't have any warning before hand. We looked out the window noticed the weather seemed strange. We found out about an hour latter what actually occurred. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We made Emergency Preparedness Kits - w/ food stuffs, medical, etc. we get hurricanes, rare tornadoes, blizzards, and floods here in the North East

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)