Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What type of crafts do your children do?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids honestly don't do crafting.  They are just not into it.  I've bought tons of things over the years but they end up going into the trash before it's all said and done or being used for something completely different.

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My 16yo has been "messing about" with different things for years. I am absolutely NOT crafty at all. My creative outlet is on a keyboard or in the kitchen.

Her room looks like Goodwill and Hobby Lobby got together and made a 3-headed psychotic baby. But then she comes upstairs to show us her latest Zentangle or the Steampunk chameleon she made from clay and I'm awed and amazed. (Sorry. Not a very good picture. I wasn't close enough to show the level of detail that's actually there.)

Her freshman year, her group was assigned a project on Victorian prisons and criminal justice. NerdGirl hand-made a working set of gallows out of popsicle sticks. Then she made a gray gallows shift for one of her castoff miniature Barbies and learned how to tie a proper hangman's knot. Gruesome, yes. But incredibly awesome!! Then her teacher wouldn't allow her to show everyone how it worked because it was too morbid! She made an A on the project, but her teacher said it might upset other students if she actually flipped the switch and hung the Barbie in class.

All of this long, rather pointless story to say, yes. My daughter loves crafts. :)

oredeb
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

thats neat susan!!! wow!!!  (picture)

hahahah hang barbie!!! 

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I must be ovulating or something because I'm actually a little teary-eyed this morning over how amazing my kids are and how much I love them. *sniffle* Yeah. Definitely hormonal.

Quoting oredeb:

thats neat susan!!! wow!!!  (picture)

hahahah hang barbie!!! 

mamavalor
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Their latest thing is the Rainbow Loom.  My kids are creative but only my girls like crafting (origami, jewelry making, etc.).  My son prefers to build.

Aramat34
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We do lots of painting. We make play dough together and have fun with that.

Paper mache

I cut out shapes and we make pictures with them.

My son loves it when I take huge piece of paper, tape it the ground and give him lots of different things. Like feathers, pom poms stickers anything he can glue on. Then he colours all around it. Like a huge collage!

I only have one kid so it might be easier for me to get crafty with him!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It turns out that I'm massively allergic to mess, but my kids are all into paper crafts.  They're doing origami now.  My 6yo LOVES to make a mess any which way he can.  :)  We've tried knitting (somehow my brain doesn't do that one well at all), card making, sewing, just generally gluing/taping anything together to make stuff, painting.  We just generally like stuff.  Messy stuff.  Glittery stuff.  Painted stuff.  My allergies are suffering.  :)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I was looking at Zentangles for times when I want them directed but not really having to DO schoolwork.  What's your take?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

My 16yo has been "messing about" with different things for years. I am absolutely NOT crafty at all. My creative outlet is on a keyboard or in the kitchen.

Her room looks like Goodwill and Hobby Lobby got together and made a 3-headed psychotic baby. But then she comes upstairs to show us her latest Zentangle or the Steampunk chameleon she made from clay and I'm awed and amazed. (Sorry. Not a very good picture. I wasn't close enough to show the level of detail that's actually there.)

Her freshman year, her group was assigned a project on Victorian prisons and criminal justice. NerdGirl hand-made a working set of gallows out of popsicle sticks. Then she made a gray gallows shift for one of her castoff miniature Barbies and learned how to tie a proper hangman's knot. Gruesome, yes. But incredibly awesome!! Then her teacher wouldn't allow her to show everyone how it worked because it was too morbid! She made an A on the project, but her teacher said it might upset other students if she actually flipped the switch and hung the Barbie in class.

All of this long, rather pointless story to say, yes. My daughter loves crafts. :)

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I think Zentangles are something they'll either love on their own or hate if you push it.

For DD, they're absorbing and soothing. Her kit came with this, like, 20-sided die that you throw 3-5 times to help pick which designs you're going to incorporate on the card. It takes the pressure off choosing so she can just lose herself in the work. There's a learning curve, too. Her early works were very spare, but now she's getting some shading and technique down and her cards are really blossoming.

It would drive me up a wall, so I wouldn't consider this a one-size-fits-all activity.

Quoting hwblyf:

I was looking at Zentangles for times when I want them directed but not really having to DO schoolwork.  What's your take?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Her room looks like Goodwill and Hobby Lobby got together and made a 3-headed psychotic baby. But then she comes upstairs to show us her latest Zentangle or the Steampunk chameleon she made from clay and I'm awed and amazed.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Lately they've all really been into Rainbow Loom, http://www.rainbowloom.com/, and yesterday my two older children made their own no-sew blanket from fabric they chose, today my two younger ones will.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Good to know.  Thanks for the info!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I think Zentangles are something they'll either love on their own or hate if you push it.

For DD, they're absorbing and soothing. Her kit came with this, like, 20-sided die that you throw 3-5 times to help pick which designs you're going to incorporate on the card. It takes the pressure off choosing so she can just lose herself in the work. There's a learning curve, too. Her early works were very spare, but now she's getting some shading and technique down and her cards are really blossoming.

It would drive me up a wall, so I wouldn't consider this a one-size-fits-all activity.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Her room looks like Goodwill and Hobby Lobby got together and made a 3-headed psychotic baby. But then she comes upstairs to show us her latest Zentangle or the Steampunk chameleon she made from clay and I'm awed and amazed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)