Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chores

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

What kind of chores do your children do?

Mine do pretty much everything but cooking dinner. 

I have really bad skin and can't wash dishes with or without gloves and we don't believe in using a dishwasher so they split the dishes up.  The wash their own clothing, bedding and towels.  They sweep and vaccum and pick up the rooms they most often occupy and a few other odds and ends.

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM

mine is only turing 4 & doesn't quiet get the whole chore thing yet. she is about to learn though. i plan to have her do her room & keep her bathroom picked up as well as feeding her cat & helping with the bunny(s) she is getting for her birthday.

MrsM121
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM

LOL don't feel bad, my oldest is 19 and from how he puts up dishes I don't think he's gotten the whole chore thing either ;).

Quoting twyliatepeka:

mine is only turing 4 & doesn't quiet get the whole chore thing yet. she is about to learn though. i plan to have her do her room & keep her bathroom picked up as well as feeding her cat & helping with the bunny(s) she is getting for her birthday.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM
We do "chores" and "responibilities".

Responsibilities are things we all do as part of the family. Keep your stuff picked up from the family areas, bedrooms cleaned, help set/ clear the table, help grocery shop and put away etc.

Then there are "chores" that are things I believe are my job as a SAHM that I pay the kids for. Vacuuming, sorting recycling, load/unload the dishwasher, cleaning the guest bathroom, scooping cat litter (its in master bath).

I also pay for them feeding MY "working dog" and doing "doggie dookie duty"...LOL. Though she is now mostly a family pet, she is my teammate in "schutzhund" a competition similar to police K9 that includes tracking, obedience and protection
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM
PS... they get paid only 25-50c per chore so if they go all week keeping up their responsibilities an chores they could earn $7 per week. Ususally they average about $4-5 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

LOL don't feel bad, my oldest is 19 and from how he puts up dishes I don't think he's gotten the whole chore thing either ;).

Quoting twyliatepeka:

lol...my sil is the same way i am sure my dd gets it from her :) as little as she is dd does like to help put the dishes away, i just don't have the paitence though.

MommaChell
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:01 PM

It's important to me to teach my children to be responsible (for themselves and towards others). At their young ages they are attempting to do things like make their beds, clean their rooms, water their flowers, etc. Both my oldest two have a set of daily responsibilities/chores. It's so neat to see them be empowered by opportunities to do for themselves. They often want to help me in my own daily chores. I talk with my children often and know they are developing a good sense of consideration and compassion for others; I believe they will live with respect. I find if I expect great things from my children and support them constructively, they soar!

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Justin helps clean up so far and helps me with laundry. Small simple things.

SimplySonita
by on May. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

PS... they get paid only 25-50c per chore so if they go all week keeping up their responsibilities an chores they could earn $7 per week. Ususally they average about $4-5 a week.

Mine get $0.10 per chore! or 15 media time tickets.

They can earn up to $5/week, bu neither ever have! LOL

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group