Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What activities do you do for your 2 year olds!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a very smart 2 year old who knows his numbers (I'm sure that's the norm) and learning the ABCs. I THINK he's on par but he's my first child what things do you recommend for 2 year olds to be doing to keep to 'par' with other children? He loves a challenge and loves to sing if that helps!

by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsM121
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Wow!  What type of gross/fine motor skill games does he play with.  Building blocks, Legos, magnetic letters (like the ones for the fridge), lacing books are some things that come to mind.

I give my kids lots to choose from (well not lots but a few different things) and let them lead and add to what they are doing as we go along.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

We take a child led approach... even more so at this age. I also have a two year old (and an almost 10 year old).

Our two year old enjoys coloring, playing with play doh, blocks, music, dancing. We recently found a couple of toddler puzzles for matching games (shirt is to shoes, cake is to candles, flatware is to plate etc).

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

MommaChell
by on May. 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

My 3 yr old (as os January) has been doing pretty much whatever his older sister has been doing, with a few exceptions. I have to work with him during most activities, since his attentions span and understanding is not always matching the task, but he is determined to do what his sister is doing, so I work with him. He is all boy! He really enjoys taking things apart and hitting things, lol. His brother is no different, at 1yr he has basically figured out how to play baseball on his own; finds a bat like object and then hits a ball shaped object. My 3yro has done well with coloring, ASL & finger-plays, lacing, painting, playdoh, tumbling, throwing, rolling, and catching balls, playing with flashcards, board/textile games, building blocks, he really loves being outside and playing in the dirt. Both my older kids love anything to do with bugs and animals; we most recently had some caterpillars (catch and release) and they both enjoy books. My 3yo will sit with a book, flipping through the pages and tell his own version of the story, he'll do that for quite a while entertaining himself....that's all that's coming to mind for now. I do crafts and gardening with both my kids, and they love it. Our "gardens" consist of some potted flowers/plants.

SimplySonita
by on May. 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

At 2-learning should be fun! If he's happy and making progress then he's good! Play games, sing songs, explore his world, answer his questions and read to him.

Studies show the #1 predictor in acadmic sucess is being read to, haing lots of books int he home and watching the parents read. So Read, read, read to him. Take a weekly trip to the library for story time then let him pick out some books. Stock your bookshelves at home with used books and books from the dollar store.

If he's happy, feels secure and knows he's loved-that's all he needs!

Just the fact you are concerned about it signals that you are doing good mama! Keep up the good work!

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group