Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Food can be a touchy subject....

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM
  • 17 Replies

Are their foods that your family can't tolerate or are allergic to? What about dietary choices, like vegetarian or vegan? How does your family's diet affect you/them socially? Do you get support from you're loved ones?

by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsM121
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I'm allergic to several foods esp., tomatoes.  I'm also allergic to most artificial colors (no M&Ms for me) and fake sugar (esp., Aspertame) doesn't make it's way in this house and neither does fake Vanilla.  I'm supposed to carry an epi pen.

I can't handle raw shrimp and animal blood makes me itch like crazy and now I've seemingly having reactions to the gloves I've been using...ugh.  Making diner is hard.

I hate cruchy onions and strongly dislike bellpeppers regardless of how they are cooked.  I can't stand the texture of coconut meat but love the flavor.

My husband can't eat pork.  Not sure what the pork folks did to it but around 10 years ago or so it changed and now just smelling it gives him headaches.  He also doesn't like poached or baked chicken, has to be fried.

My kids on the other hand can eat pretty much anything.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Hubby is a type 1 diabetic and my oldest is allergic to red dye and I am allergic to shrimp. My oldest also has SPD-so he has some texture issues with food-but he's making great progress in that area, I'm very proud of him!

It's not too bad-we keep an eye on carbs to balance them, don't fix shrimp at home (hubby can eat it when we go out) and try to avoid a bunch of processed foods.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MrsM121
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Quoting SimplySonita:

Hubby is a type 1 diabetic and my oldest is allergic to red dye and I am allergic to shrimp. My oldest also has SPD-so he has some texture issues with food-but he's making great progress in that area, I'm very proud of him!

It's not too bad-we keep an eye on carbs to balance them, don't fix shrimp at home (hubby can eat it when we go out) and try to avoid a bunch of processed foods.

We try to avoid a lot of processed foods too, one of the main reasons I cook so much stuff from scratch.  IMO if I can't pronounce it we don't need to eat it.

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

I'm allergic to several foods esp., tomatoes.  I'm also allergic to most artificial colors (no M&Ms for me) and fake sugar (esp., Aspertame) doesn't make it's way in this house and neither does fake Vanilla.  I'm supposed to carry an epi pen.

I can't handle raw shrimp and animal blood makes me itch like crazy and now I've seemingly having reactions to the gloves I've been using...ugh.  Making diner is hard.

I hate cruchy onions and strongly dislike bellpeppers regardless of how they are cooked.  I can't stand the texture of coconut meat but love the flavor.

My husband can't eat pork.  Not sure what the pork folks did to it but around 10 years ago or so it changed and now just smelling it gives him headaches.  He also doesn't like poached or baked chicken, has to be fried.

I hope you've found a comfortable replacement for your kitchen gloves. Do you react to all animal blood?

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I count myself fortunate that we don't have any major food sensitivities or allergies. My husband, daughter, and myself don't tend to do well with dairy, so we restrict it. My kids have a string chz from time to time, and we encounter it at family gatherings. I'll get a hankering for some homemade cheesecake here and there and simply HAVE to make one, and I'll use cream in my coffee when I have it. It tends to work out that if we eat it seldomly, then we seldomly suffer for it. I believe I am the most sensitive to it and I also believe I have the hardest time going with out it! We use coconut milk as our dairy replacement. I also don't tolerate grains well *shrug*, but I do well with flaxmeal and sprouted bread. Outside of the dairy, my kids can pretty much eat anything and they aren't picky. My husband has more refined tastes, lol, but he tends to get easily bored with foods and needs a change often.

I have no desire to prepare shrimp at home, but every once in a while I may order fried shrimp when we dine out. We too try and steer clear of processed foods & artificial ingredients. I have a ex-sister-in-law and an aunt that can't do pork; headaches, sick, etc. Luckily our family hasn't had any issues with meat.  

MrsM121
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

I hope you've found a comfortable replacement for your kitchen gloves. Do you react to all animal blood?

I usually do have reactions to animal blood but the degree depends on how healthy/unhealthy my skin is at the time.  Sometimes it's just a slight itch other times I have to stop and walk away.  My husband cuts up most of the meat in our house and he won't even allow me in the kitchen when we have raw shrimp until he has peel, deveined and cleaned up everything.  It drives me nuts cause I'm so much faster than he is at peeling them too.

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

I usually do have reactions to animal blood but the degree depends on how healthy/unhealthy my skin is at the time.  Sometimes it's just a slight itch other times I have to stop and walk away.  My husband cuts up most of the meat in our house and he won't even allow me in the kitchen when we have raw shrimp until he has peel, deveined and cleaned up everything.  It drives me nuts cause I'm so much faster than he is at peeling them too.

Hahah, i know what it's like to have my husband drive me nuts working on something in the kitchen.....I really have to work at NOT micromanaging him :) I bite my tounge and give thanks that he's willing to help.

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Quoting SimplySonita:

My daughter has had issues with the textures of certain foods in the past; cooked sweet potatoes, squash, and every once in a while oatmeal would get her. I think she's pretty much over it now. It took work on both our parts. My husband can get hung up on textures from time to time. Me and the boys are good.

MrsM121
by on May. 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Quoting MommaChell:

Hahah, i know what it's like to have my husband drive me nuts working on something in the kitchen.....I really have to work at NOT micromanaging him :) I bite my tounge and give thanks that he's willing to help.

My husband is a natural in the kitchen.  Today I made his loaf of bread for work and some blueberry muffins and he made chicken soup and a pot of rice for dinner.  He's a really good cook so I love when he comes to help :).

MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

My husband is a natural in the kitchen.  Today I made his loaf of bread for work and some blueberry muffins and he made chicken soup and a pot of rice for dinner.  He's a really good cook so I love when he comes to help :).

You are a fortunate woman! Perhaps he and my husband could spend some time together, that way some of your husband's skills could rub off on him ;)fingers crossed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN