Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Food can be a touchy subject....

Posted by   + Show Post

Are their foods that your family can't tolerate or are allergic to? What about dietary choices, like vegetarian or vegan? How does your family's diet affect you/them socially? Do you get support from you're loved ones?

by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Replies (11-17):
MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I just wanted to add here that my FIL's family has made it very difficult on our family in the past concerning our food sensitivities. They always had a ton of, what we consider, junk and processed foods. They'd leave a bunch of candy out at the kids level that they knew we didn't let them have. They knowingly served dairy products with NO reserve. In fact, one time all they had made were casseroles full of cheese, and lucky for me, flour & pasta; 3 different casseroles, lol! They'd also give us flak about the kids not consuming enough dairy. So, I would make dairy free health food items and bring them, but that back fired when my DH's dad called saying that we insulted them by not eating what they provide for us. Note, we always made sure to put some of whatever they were serving on our plates, as well as on the kids plates, as not to insult them; even though they had been told that we don't tolerate dairy well! We have really worked at honoring them and trying to avoid negative situations. I love them a ton and appreciate their willingness and generosity to host family gatherings, but i sure don't appreciate the way they can be about some things- this situation I simply don't understand, especially when we've explained to them that the kids, and ourselves, are not going without supplementing the proper nutrition that dairy is suppose to provide. Then about a year ago my step-MIL started trying to loose weight, she got on a Dr. recommended program and they started serving more non dairy health foods at gatherings- what a blessing! I've had my feelings hurt so much by them over FOOD!!! I really try not to hold such things against them; it can be difficult and it definitely takes away from enjoying the really great people they can be. The last time we hosted a gathering, they brought chz filled pigs in a blanket, hahaha! *shrug* what do you do!?! I have prayed and prayed and we continue to try and honor them, things are slowly getting better :)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM

We have no food allergies.

We abstain from meat on Fridays for religious and cultural reasons. By default, our children do the same most of the time even though they aren't required to participate at their age.

Our family does respect it. Many of them adhere to the same.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

MommaChell
by on May. 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We have no food allergies.

We abstain from meat on Fridays for religious and cultural reasons. By default, our children do the same most of the time even though they aren't required to participate at their age.

Our family does respect it. Many of them adhere to the same.

I'm glad to hear your family doesn't have any food allergies and it's a blessing that your extended family maintains the same diet and cultural/religious beliefs; I believe it makes for smoother fellowship.

MrsM121
by on May. 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Hahah, i know what it's like to have my husband drive me nuts working on something in the kitchen.....I really have to work at NOT micromanaging him :) I bite my tounge and give thanks that he's willing to help.

My husband is a natural in the kitchen.  Today I made his loaf of bread for work and some blueberry muffins and he made chicken soup and a pot of rice for dinner.  He's a really good cook so I love when he comes to help :).

You are a fortunate woman! Perhaps he and my husband could spend some time together, that way some of your husband's skills could rub off on him ;)fingers crossed

LOL we could try.  His mama taught him most of what he knows and since he's the oldest out of 14 kids he learned to do a lot early on.

MommaChell
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Hahah, i know what it's like to have my husband drive me nuts working on something in the kitchen.....I really have to work at NOT micromanaging him :) I bite my tounge and give thanks that he's willing to help.

My husband is a natural in the kitchen.  Today I made his loaf of bread for work and some blueberry muffins and he made chicken soup and a pot of rice for dinner.  He's a really good cook so I love when he comes to help :).

You are a fortunate woman! Perhaps he and my husband could spend some time together, that way some of your husband's skills could rub off on him ;)fingers crossed

LOL we could try.  His mama taught him most of what he knows and since he's the oldest out of 14 kids he learned to do a lot early on.

Wow, 14 kids! I bet his mama has some stories. I can only imagine what wonderful ways an experience like that could improve a man :)

I should probably let my husband do more...I really have to fight my own inclinations on that. I also find that when he is home i want to lighten his load as much as I can. He works long and hard and still manages to come home and help me where he can. *blessed*

MrsM121
by on May. 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting MommaChell:

Wow, 14 kids! I bet his mama has some stories. I can only imagine what wonderful ways an experience like that could improve a man :)

I should probably let my husband do more...I really have to fight my own inclinations on that. I also find that when he is home i want to lighten his load as much as I can. He works long and hard and still manages to come home and help me where he can. *blessed*

My husband is the same way.  He just finished a full day of work and now he is at the grocery store and took the time to call me and let me know potting soil is on sale LOL.

PeanutEmmynem
by on May. 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM
We have no allergies or sensitivities at all, very blessed! My girls will usually eat anything (except tomatoes if they can tell what they are, lol). They've each gone through short spurts of pickiness but that doesn't last long.

My husband burned a frozen pizza so badly that he couldn't even break it on the driveway! He isn't allowed in the kitchen anymore;).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)