Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do your kids feel about homeschooling?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM
  • 25 Replies

Both my kids love it.

My oldest attended 2 years of PS. If anyone mentions sending them to PS, they both break out in tears.

Have your kids ever been to PS? How do your kids like being homeschooled?

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsM121
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

My oldest graduated under me last year and is now a freshman in college.  Finals are this week.

My second oldest who no longer lives with us wanted public school so I enrolled him in a charter school that was online for a year.  The entire year he might have turned in 15% of his work and that is pushing it.  He wanted to socialize, flirt, date, anything but education. 

Long story, short he decided he didn't want an education at all homeschool or otherwise and when he turned 17 he legally didn't have to go and I let him do what he wanted to do.  Now he is a resident of the local jail and no longer allowed on our property via the property management.  Good times, momma is so proud...NOT!

My daughter and youngest child have only known homeschool.  My daughter has expressed some interest in going to public school but when I ask her about it she kind of blows it off.  My youngest just wants to learn.

mommygirls2
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Mine have never been in ps but do not want to go.  They hear from their friends that are in school that they don't like it.  They have also noticed the buses coming home so late and they ask if they would have to go to school that late lol.  Mine are all for homeschooling and tell everyone about it. lol

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM

A friend who was going for her teaching degree used my son for a project-she had to interview him-she asked him about school-we were homeschooling and he just went on and on abou how much he loved being homeschooled, how he didn't have to do 'stupid work' (he was refering to the rote copywork/memorization and 'busy wokr' they give them) but got to learn about things he wanted to instead.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MommaChell
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Mine are pre-ks and they've never been to PS. I hope they love HS so much that PS would seem unappealing to them; future tense, I don't believe we'd bar them from going if they were adamant, but the thought of them choosing PS makes me sad. As long as they stayed motivated to learn, made responsible choices in school, and kept open honest communication with us, I believe we'd leave them in God's hands daily with many prayers and our blessing. 

Arianna
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

My son loves homeschooling.  Every year we revisit the idea of him going back to public school, so that we can make sure that we are all wanting the same thing.  Every year, when I asked him if he wants to go back, he responds with "Mom, why in the world would I want to do that???  Geez!"

LOL

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Autumn loves it. We pulled her out in April of this year. It was her first year in public school. Previous to this past year, she had only attended private schools. She is dyslexic and it has been difficult to find a good "fit" for her. Private schools do not have the resources to accommodate her, public school was just too far out of her comfort zone. She never acclimated and endured serious bullying. We are homeschooling through the rest of this year, the summer and next year. Our goal is to place her in a private prep school (local Catholic middle/high school) in a year or so. We simply didn't have many options left during her elementary years.

She is almost 10. She loves home schooling and so do we. Who knows - we might just keep with it longer than planned. She is progressing rapidly.

My 2 year old son isn't "schooled". We take a more AP/Child led approach... especially with younger children. He enjoys playing with his puzzles and coloring while I do our daughter's lessons.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

My oldest graduated under me last year and is now a freshman in college.  Finals are this week.

My second oldest who no longer lives with us wanted public school so I enrolled him in a charter school that was online for a year.  The entire year he might have turned in 15% of his work and that is pushing it.  He wanted to socialize, flirt, date, anything but education. 

Long story, short he decided he didn't want an education at all homeschool or otherwise and when he turned 17 he legally didn't have to go and I let him do what he wanted to do.  Now he is a resident of the local jail and no longer allowed on our property via the property management.  Good times, momma is so proud...NOT!

My daughter and youngest child have only known homeschool.  My daughter has expressed some interest in going to public school but when I ask her about it she kind of blows it off.  My youngest just wants to learn.

I just rean across this and I wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one out there in a similar situation. My oldest went through the same things as your 2nd oldest (with prodding from my mom who thinks a GED is just as good a high school that I am evil for expecting him to learn algebra, but that is a long story for another day).

Our olest is now back home, working 2 jobs and paying us back for his lawyer and other expenses. As a part of the plea  deal to  get back out on probation instead of parolle he took the GED while still in jail and did very well. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

They have never been and they love homeschooling.  Their love having choices during the day.  I love following their interests.

IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Im currently 20. Graduated from homeschooling with my 5 younger siblings...3 of which never attended PS at all...Me, and two of my younger sibs atteneded when we were younger, but they came out around 4th or 5th grade and i stayed in till my freshman year...but i came out for personal reasons...I loved it! I had my own graduation, with cap and gown. my own diploma given to me. :) it was so special. the other kids love it! :) granted they do ask what it's like in PS but i know from their personallity they wouldnt like it...now for friends sake, they are in boy scouts and girl scouts. so they make friends that way. :) 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM

My kids have never been to a public school but they love being home-schooled. Someone mentions them going to a "real" school and their eyes get wide and they promptly tell them that they love being home and don't EVER want to be anywhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN