Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Animal dissection

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

with real animals.  My 13 year old wants to do it and while I don't really have an issue with it I'm not to thrilled about the smell.  It's been years but I still remember the smell!

What are your views on dissection?

by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommygirls2
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I think it is a great learning experience, mine are young and we disected a cows eye and they still talk about it.  We were learning about the five sense, it was very cool.  I thought I would get grossed out doing it but it went great.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I think it's a great way to learn anatomy!

We haven't done it yet, as my kids are so young and sensitive and real animal loves-emotionally I dont' think they could handle it right now.

Maybe the smell wouldn't be as bad as you remember if it were just ONE frog (or whatever) as opposed to 15-30 frogs in a PS classroom....

Do you have a college near by? We revently took a field trip to the local vet med school (UGA) There was some great stuff there that was preserved.

I was gonna post a picture-then I realised it might offend some people, so I'll link you-but I'm warning you-don't view it if you are sensitive, and huge animal lover, etc and think you can't handle it. Scroll down-there is a warning before the more 'graphic' pictures.

These are the things the vet med students use to learn anatomy-maybe if you have a local veterinary college maybe you could plan a field trip? Or maybe even just a local vet might let your teen observe a surgery?

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MommaChell
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Quoting mommygirls2:

I think it is a great learning experience, mine are young and we disected a cows eye and they still talk about it.  We were learning about the five sense, it was very cool.  I thought I would get grossed out doing it but it went great.

NEAT! I remember dissecting in school and how interesting it was to me. I look forward to offering my kids the learning experience, above and beyond, if possible.

MrsM121
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The other day she dissected a chicken heart from a whole chicken I was cutting up for dinner.

SimplySonita
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Niiiice!

We raise chickens so we'll probably dot hat one day-my son (7) just loves his chickens so much he can't emotionall handle knowing we kill and eat them-he told hubby "I don't care if we eat them, just don't tell me when I'm eating my own chickens!" LOL

4 year old though will watch hubby kill a chicken, process a deer, whatever and it doesn't bother him-he likes to help.

Quoting MrsM121:

The other day she dissected a chicken heart from a whole chicken I was cutting up for dinner.

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

MommaChell
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

So good that you were able to find a learning opportunity there. I'll be keeping that in mind when I'm in the kitchen! Thanks :)

MrsM121
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM

My daughter has a thing for hearts.  She actually went and found a pendent of an anatomically correct heart that she wants, only cost about $250..... maybe when she starts medical school!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)