Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you get your 'me time' or 'couples alone' in?

Posted by on May. 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM
  • 6 Replies

As a homeschooling mom, we are with our kids 24/7. Especially younger kids. So how do you get in your 'me time' or alone time with hubby?

Here are the things I do:

• Get up with hubby at 5am! We enjoy breakfast and coffee together.
  • He's out the door at 6 then I have alone time before the kids get up
  • We have (almost) daily quite time here mid-day. I may send them to their room with books so I can have alone time or make phone calls or we may all 3 just pile in my bed with some books for a read aloud or rest time.
  • Off to Grammy's house! My parents live right next door, so my kids usually go over to her house 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes to all day long some days. I love that they are so close that they are part of our daily lives.
  • I usually dont' do the dinner dishes after dinner. I save them for after hubby is off to work-this way housework isn't cutting into family time (since hubby works long hours) or our couples alone time. 
  • Bedtime. My kids know they dont' have to go right to sleep, but they do have to go to bed at a certian time. The cna talk, read, watch tv, whatever so long as they stay in bed and aren't too loud. This is alone time with hubby before bed.

So how do you work in alone time or couples time?

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on May. 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommaChell
by on May. 1, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Wow, what a blessing to have your parents right next door! 

For now our kids are little enough that I go mostly by their schedule, which can vary depending on everyday life. Now that my youngest is weening more, waking up less at night, and sleeping less during the day, we're finally getting to a point that we can have all the kids on the same schedule, or close to it. Now that I'm not up so often at night I'm getting up earlier and we've been able to spend some time together in the morning. Generally we have "us" time at night after we get all the kids in bed, but we're usually so tired by that point that we're not up for much. My husband can work long hours and also have to work from home, so that can take away from our time together. I'd say the easiest way for us to spend time together has been for us to schedule something special on the weekends. Now that the baby doesn't have to accompany me everywhere, we can go out and give each other our full attention. This weekend was our first outing all by ourselves since we had Za- it was a grocery run & my hub was on pager so we had to hustle, not exactly quality time. My MIL watched all three of the kids; it went so well for her that we're looking forward to more.

MrsM121
by on May. 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

My husband and I always have our evenings.  And we talk during the day all the time by cell phone.  We just talked 5 minutes ago.  I get up with him and see him off to work every morning regardless of what time the alarm is set.  2am or 5am I'm up with him.  Now that our kids are older (oldest is 19) we can leave him in charge for a few hours and head out together.  We go shopping together, occassionally we stop and have lunch together.  If we are not solid our house is not solid and that isn't acceptable for either of us.

Now for my time I go walking.  I always make sure I have time to myself at least 2-3 times a week.  It is a must have because it is when I recharge myself.  Recently I started taking pictures of things I enjoy.

SimplySonita
by on May. 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Chelle-your story reminded me of a funny outing....

I rememebr the first time I left our oldest with my mom. We went to see 'The Passion' and He was young, still straight breastfeeding-I thought I'd be okay, but Oh. My. Goodness. I thought I would DIE before we got home. I was drenched in breastmilk by the time we got home! LOL

Needless to say, I never went ANYWHERE without my youngest without a hand pump! LOL

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group