Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Country mouse, city mouse...and you are??

Posted by on May. 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

Where do you live; in the country, the city, or a town sized somewhere in between? How does your location affect your homeschool life? Any plans on moving someday?

by on May. 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Suburbia.

Lol.

Technically we are considered "city"... but we live in a smaller southern city. We do live just outside of the down town district which is GREAT most of the time. We have several museums (art, history, science, hands on for children), ball fields, activities etc just a few minutes away. In that way, our location has been wonderful for our family and for home school. The down side is that we live in a very intolerant southern town. Blah. Lol.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

MrsM121
by on May. 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Kind of in the middle, suburbs I guess.  I'd love to live in the city away from rushing around and noise but at the same time I love being able to get where I need to get within minutes.  Where we are right now is good.

SimplySonita
by on May. 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I'm a country mouse! cowgirl

If we move-it will be to another place in the country-I'd hate to live int he city again (no offense)

I'd love to move and have more land, more privacy, more room, more animals, etc LOL but hopefullyI'll never have to move to the city again.

I grew up in the city, just outside of ATL, I 100% prefer the country!

We live not too far from Athens now, so I'm too far form a nice size city with lots of options and we go there and use what we need from it.

Luckily our area is full of homeschoolers so we don't lack for things to do with other homeschoolers, there are lots of options.

I've learned this year, from talking to other homeschoolers all over the country, it doesn't matter if you are big city or small town, oppertunities seem to be based ont he number of homeschoolers in said big city or small town. An active homeschool community in a  small town can be better than a big city with a smaller homeschool community.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I agree with your last paragraph completely. Even though we live in "the city", it is a small southern city. Nothing compared to others (my mother lives in Atlanta)... but because we live in a more religious area (although not of our own faith), we have so many home schooling opportunities.  Most of our museums offer educator discounts that extend to home schoolers, our local skating rink does home school days, our local Y even offers home school PE classes. Tons of support groups.

Quoting SimplySonita:

I'm a country mouse! cowgirl

If we move-it will be to another place in the country-I'd hate to live int he city again (no offense)

I'd love to move and have more land, more privacy, more room, more animals, etc LOL but hopefullyI'll never have to move to the city again.

I grew up in the city, just outside of ATL, I 100% prefer the country!

We live not too far from Athens now, so I'm too far form a nice size city with lots of options and we go there and use what we need from it.

Luckily our area is full of homeschoolers so we don't lack for things to do with other homeschoolers, there are lots of options.

I've learned this year, from talking to other homeschoolers all over the country, it doesn't matter if you are big city or small town, oppertunities seem to be based ont he number of homeschoolers in said big city or small town. An active homeschool community in a  small town can be better than a big city with a smaller homeschool community.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group