Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Moms just got an upgrade!

Posted by on May. 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

UPDATE: The new look is now live!

We're in the process of improving the layout of CafeMom Groups, and Homeschooling Moms will get a new look starting soon!

What's changing?

We're moving the group navigation (the green links currently on the left side of every page) up to the top of the page and emphasizing only the ones that are used most.  We’re also adding some new sections in the right column to show you fresh, new and interesting things going on in your group.

Here's a sample of how it will look:

If you want to get a sneak peak at the new format, check out groups like July 2010 Babies and February 2011 Babies.

Why are changes being made?

To better highlight what's new and interesting. The right column will now be used to display active posts, group photos, posts featured by the group admins, and more.

To make things simpler. In the current navigation, links that aren't often used take up a lot of space. The new navigation makes it easier to get to the group homepage, forums, and photos. It will make it much quicker to navigate through groups with more than one forum.

To give us the flexibility to add more cool stuff in the future. For example, members of the month-specific pregnancy groups like June 2011 Babies now get their own pregnancy tickers and daily pregnancy polls right within the group. We are planning lots of cool features just for your groups like Featured Photo Albums and Contests, Group Challenges and more coming soon!

To dedicate as much space as possible to your conversations. The main part of the page will now be slightly wider and forum posts appear higher on the page so you don't have to scroll as much.

We need your help!

We'll be looking to you for constructive feedback about what's working, what needs improvement, and most importantly, what other kinds of things you'd like to see added to Groups.  We know changes like this can take some getting used to so please give this a chance even if you aren’t a big fan of change.  We look forward to making CafeMom Groups your favorite place to hang out.

---Cafe BTC

by on May. 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MrsM121
by on May. 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I'm pretty adaptable to the layouts but one thing I'd love to see is a like button.  Even more than that I'd love it if there was some way overall that we could know when something we have posted has been replied to.  More of less the way that Facebook is set up. 

MommaChell
by on May. 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Quoting MrsM121:

I'm pretty adaptable to the layouts but one thing I'd love to see is a like button.  Even more than that I'd love it if there was some way overall that we could know when something we have posted has been replied to.  More of less the way that Facebook is set up. 

Agreed on both accounts!!! Though I do get a daily email alert when my posts have replies, it be awesome if there was a similar alert for postings that we've commented on; perhaps an email subscription to certain posts, or a Favorite Tag that enables us to receive updates on certain posts when they have new comments/replies.

SimplySonita
by on May. 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I like the new look! I was worried I wouldn't LOL but I do!

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group