Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What sort of things do you do with the kids for PE.  Do you get exercise for yourself?

I just started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred but fell out of it when I get sick with my allergies.  I'm going to start it back Monday allergies or not cause I love nearly 2 pounds the first week and I'd like to keep that trend up for about 20 some odd pounds :).

by on May. 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
cedailey
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:33 PM

The kids have dance once a week during the "school year" and swimming in the summer, they bike often, we walk a mile a day, and, being Charlotte Mason schoolers, they spend about 4 hours a day outside, mostly running around and playing.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2011 at 12:28 AM

There's a local homeschooling PE organization here and they switch sports monthly so I sign him up for that once a week. He takes TKD once or twice a week and we often take walks or ride bikes, etc. Next month he'll do swimming lessons and I'll take him to the pool throughout the summer to get some exercise that way.

ziff130
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:28 AM

My 5 yo is in Tae Kwon Do, I go to the gym everyday and the kids play in the kids room (indoor playground), and we go to park day w/ our homeschool friends once a week so I think they get plenty of PE time. hehe!

swim-mom72
by on May. 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM

My oldest is on a competitive swim team and swims 4-5 days a week, so he is more than covered. And my  youngest son does jui-jitsu 3 days a week. We also use the Wii, play darts, play pool, take walks, jump on the trampoline, and swim in the pool for exercise. They have done a structured PE class with a co-op before, and had a great time. I am thinking that 30 min of stretching and mild exercise like sit-ups and push ups are a great way to get the blood flowin before a day of school. Hmmmm, I may be on to something : )

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM

We walk a lot. Over the years the kids took gymnastics and dance and played softball, in addition to swimming, playing around (a lot) in the front yard, and at the local playgrounds.

I'm losing weight, about a pound a week, by walking more and it's umpiring season (nothing like a million squats in 90 minutes to build the quads, let me tell you!!) I wouldn't want it to be any faster, because I'm looking at lifestyle changes I can keep.

valeryarbelo
by on May. 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

When my son is acting wild all over the house. We take a YOGA time out. He is only 5 but some reason he can kick butt when it comes to yoga. It helps to calm him down and he gets exercise out of it. 

He plays seasonal sports, it changes as the seasons go. He does JUDO 2x a week at the Y, swimming at Nana's  house, although he has talked about going out for the swimming team at the Y. He occasionally does tumbling at the Y. He does at least 1 kids race a month, he's training for a 1k kids dash. (He chooses what he likes to do and we support him). 

We will be joining the local PE club when the time rolls around to do it. 

Liansmommie
by on May. 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM

We have a set yoga program. Arobics or wii fit type games a few days a week and at least once a week we go on a nature walk. In warm months he swims, plays soccer and badminton and this summer he is getting into dance. Everything he does, I do with him.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

We have a treadmill, and our whole family uses it.  The kids think it's fun.  They also love to do any exercise videos with me, and we run and play outside and take advantage of community sports when offered.

FlyHippie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Well, my kiddo is constantly outside. He skateboards, rides bikes and runs around with his buddies A LOT. Plus he plays competitive baseball and basketball so we have a practice almost every night...or a game.

This is one I've not had to worry about because we have it by default!

TroyboysMom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM

We walk a lot, and we also have soccer practice and games (taking up 1 hour or more three days a week), and tumbling on Tuesdays. Soccer season is almost over, though, and swimming will replace it for the summer, as well as an additional tumbling class. In August, soccer begins again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN