Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you ever have problems with other homeschoolers?

Posted by on May. 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have occassionally had a few problems here and there IRL but I think it was more about the have's and have nots.  Me being one of the have nots and being looked down on by the ones that have.

Online I'd left more than one forum because of being attacted for not being a Christian but I've tried not to let it put all Christian's in a negative light cause I know anyone can be an idiot.

by on May. 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM

The only group I've ever had a problem wit his CHEAV (Christian Homeschoolres in AV) AV is where we live. They will not recognise us as homeschoolers because we use a public charter school even though we are Christian. However, my friend that uses a christian private school for homeschooling IS allowed to join.  BOTH sets of kids are registered in a school "technikcally" so NEITHER should be allowed to join by their philosophy.

I probably would NOT consider myself a "homeschooler" if we used one of hte online schools that dictates the curriculum. However, I have FULL flexibility on all my subjects for the kids and would do pretty much the same thing if we weren't using the Charter.  The charter just makes it free!

LivinDeadGurl
by on May. 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I have had issues on here with homeschool groups due to most of the members being Christian. I asked for ideas on secular curricula and had them just down my throat because I wasn't teaching my children about God. Instead of being accepting of our different beliefs and pointing us in a good direction, they tried to preach to me.

In real life, the only homeschoolers I know I have never had issues with.

SimplySonita
by on May. 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

LOL yep...anyone can be an idiot! Well said!

Jink-As to the 'not a homeschooler' thing. Legally, virtual public school is not homeschooling. From a legal standpoint, your child is a public school student. Depending on your state, if a homeschool group or co-op were to allow you (or any virtual public schoolf amily) to become a member of their group, they would have to be 'approved' or may have to do some things differntly by letting a public school student in. It's a legal issue.

And, in some states, you have to (or have the option to) homeschool 'under' a private school. But it is still legally homeschooling (in states you HAVE to be under a private school or register your homeschool as a private school, it is the only way to homeschool)

Basically, it's a legal issue in some cases. Though, I will say, I have seen some homeschoolers get awful nasty about it. Which...again..anyone can be an idiot Isuppose, but it would be nice if they would just explain it nicely to you rather than be nasty about it...

Livin-it's easy to jump down someone's throat online, isn't it? you don't have to face them!

I also have had problems online but not IRL. We identify as Christian unschoolers. So unschoolers don't like us casue m kids have bedtimes and chores and such, Christian homeschoolers say I'm not Christian...whateva! It works for us!

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group