Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Child's choice...

Posted by on May. 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do you give you children an option of learning about one topic over another or do you have everything planned out ahead of time. 

Example:  You want your child to study China and Japan.  Do you ask them which one they want to learn about first or do you decide before hand which one you are going to do. 

I've done it both ways and I find that my kids are more prone to be interested if I let them choose it themselves.  It's all going to get covered either way.

by on May. 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SimplySonita
by on May. 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

We learn about whatever my kids are into.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

poohbear1183
by on May. 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Me too. I usually ask Hannah what do you want to learn about today and we do whatever she says. Although lately, all she wants to do is to do letters, but she knows all of her letters and their sounds already. There is only a few more things then she is done with prescool.

handles scissors well, pastes well, knows home address, knows home number, answers questions about a story,

after that we will take a short break of a week or two then start on kindergarten.

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on May. 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Right now he's so young that we aren't learning the basics (abcs/123s) which he's awesome at (he's 2 years old and LOVES to sing) so we are doing that and the wheels on the bus. He's interested in those things right now so I'm trying my best to help him learn it.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM

we arepretty much  just doing basics right now but it is pretty much just whatever she wants to learn that day.

Gumberly
by on May. 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM
I guess I am all alone. I pick the topics and plan out a week ahead. DS can pick what order we go in (i.e. Math first or science) and I do adjust if it seems like what I planned out is going to be too much for that day but thats it. I try to find things that interest him as much as possible but some things I believe are of value for him to learn and they are scheduled in accordingly.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM

We try to complete every subject, every day.

Math, science, reading, spelling, history, art appreciation, piano, grammar, copywork/handwriting, memorization, religion/catechism etc.

We tend to keep things very structured.

Autumn is free to help decided in what order we do each subject, but I decide the lessons within each subject.

She does get to decide what our "unit study" is for each month. For the next month she has chosen Greek Mythology.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

MommaChell
by on May. 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Since my kids are pre-k we don't have a strict curriculum of subjects per day. I keep a lesson guide for each week in order to stay on task with my goals, but I adjust to how my kids are feeling and what they are interested in. I try and be creative by incorporating my goal lessons into each day, even if it's not the main focus and only sporadic. I've been working to give my kids more choices within our activities while still maintaining a good pace and structure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)