Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What bug repellents/sprays does your family use?

Posted by on May. 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

We've had a real problem with the kids reacting to bug bits during the warm seasons. When it comes to bug repellents there are so many options; body sprays, candles, etc. Is there a product that you recommend? What do you like about it?

by on May. 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsM121
by on May. 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM

We stay inside most of the time.  My daughter and my youngest son scar really bad from bites.  My daughter still has marks from last year!

SimplySonita
by on May. 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM

I like Avons SOS

The kids dont' get bit much so I usually don't put anything on them unless we are going hiking all day deep in the woods. Me-I attract bugs like honey! I use the most % DEET I can find if we go hiking but other than that-SOS.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

dreamingmind
by on May. 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I DO not use any DEET products on my family never have. 15 years ago I lived in HI and they have the gnarliest little squiters.  I remember washing my face and then putting some witch hazel astringent all over my face and neck (of course except my eyes) and guess what!!! They didnt bite me except on my eye.  Ever since then I use it regularly to go camping and douse everyone with it to keep them away. IF you don't like the smell you could throw some lavender oil to make it pleasant.

ElectraSpy
by on May. 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM

We use Peppermint Essential Oil (30drops) mixed in a spray bottle full of water. Smells good to us, but not to bugs... we spray us & where ever we are.... plus you can spray it on garden plants to keep the eater bugs away. 

luvthesoap
by on May. 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM

We use Avon's SSS bug replent/sunscreen lotion. We have been using it for years.

Betty in KY

oredeb
by debbie on May. 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM

we use those candles, also that product from avon called skin so soft

eat lots of garlic, mint, eucalyptus, lavender essential oils mixed with one of our carrier oils,

anyone ever use burts bees natural skin repellant?

debbie

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM

We use high-concentration DEET on clothing only. 

When we're out camping, we also spray it on the entrances of the tents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)