Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do for 1st Grade??

Posted by on May. 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM
  • 18 Replies

so, i am looking at curriculums and thinking of next year..my youngest will be in 1st grade and i wanna be prepared..  I am not sure yet what curriculum i want or should use with him.. what subjects do you cover in 1st grade?? any curriculum suggestions??  I want to make sure i cover enough material with him but i don't want to overwhelm him either or make it too simple.. make sense??  lol  he also really struggles with writing so i want to help him in that department.. do you cover every subject every day?? or alternate science and social studies/history???  we have taken it easy this year mostly focusing on phonics and some math and reading... right now we are using the begining books for Explode the Code (the ready set and go books) and a workbook for some math... and just reading books, leapfrog movies.. and also http://www.readingkingdom.com/ he also helps with cooking and and just life learning too..

I am a single momma and can't afford an expensivie curriculum, but can buy a little at a time to get ready for next year.. I am so open to suggestions and would love to know how you do/did 1st grade.. what curric did you use??  how did you schedule your day?? anything else helpful would be great too...

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, animal loving boys... Mario, 18yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

by on May. 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on May. 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

We just finished 1st and my husband was unemployed when we started and I dont' work. He just got a job 2 months ago.

We bought things used, cheap, online, used book store and used free resources. (Other than we did plunk downa good bit for Apologia zoology 1 cause he's REALLY into science)

A library card, internet/printer and you can easily do 1st grade.

Click the peach in my siggy for tons of free resources.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

MommaChell
by on May. 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I'm not experienced with 1st grade, but I do recommend dry erase workbooks; you can find them at amazon, I've seen some at Sam's Club. I'd like to think they'd have some available for you're son's level in different areas. Wipe Clean Priddy Books are what we use- note: the dry erase markers that come with the books are NOT good, so purchase a good set separately and throw the originals away. Here's a BUMP for you!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

For 1st grade I did a lot of reading to/with DD. She would read a paragraph (or page depending on the difficulty) then I would read...

We did Explode the Code and Zaner -Bloser handwriting.

I would give her a journal and  proofread her entry. We used words she misspelled alongin her journal, with Spelling Power" (bought used for $2 from homeschool swap)  for her spelling and english. I introduced mad libs with her older brothers and she plays along.

I also got different Journal ideas, booklets for holidays from www.enchantedlearning.com ($20 for the year plus your own printer paper and ink is a STEAL!) They have SOO MUCH STUFF!

We use Math-U-See DVD and workbooks. The manipulatives are a little investment ($50 or so last I checked)  but it's VERY reasonable. Esp if you have more than one child and can reuse the DVD and manipulatives and just buy the student books. We also play Yahtzee and dominos for math :)

I got Map, Globes & Graphs from either Spectrum books or Rainbow resource for Geography/Social Studies.

I did a LOT of fun things from her GS Brownie books for Science and Social studies as well. I did this with the boy's Cub Scout books too!

PS- we did about 1-2 hours a day depending on her interest level.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

MommaChell
by on May. 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

For 1st grade I did a lot of reading to/with DD. She would read a paragraph (or page depending on the difficulty) then I would read...

We did Explode the Code and Zaner -Bloser handwriting.

I would give her a journal and  proofread her entry. We used words she misspelled alongin her journal, with Spelling Power" (bought used for $2 from homeschool swap)  for her spelling and english. I introduced mad libs with her older brothers and she plays along.

I also got different Journal ideas, booklets for holidays from www.enchantedlearning.com ($20 for the year plus your own printer paper and ink is a STEAL!) They have SOO MUCH STUFF!

We use Math-U-See DVD and workbooks. The manipulatives are a little investment ($50 or so last I checked)  but it's VERY reasonable. Esp if you have more than one child and can reuse the DVD and manipulatives and just buy the student books. We also play Yahtzee and dominos for math :)

I got Map, Globes & Graphs from either Spectrum books or Rainbow resource for Geography/Social Studies.

I did a LOT of fun things from her GS Brownie books for Science and Social studies as well. I did this with the boy's Cub Scout books too!

PS- we did about 1-2 hours a day depending on her interest level.

Good resources; I'm always piling info for the future, so thanks Jinx!

cedailey
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I'm just finishing 1st with dd1 and getting ready to do it next year with dd2.  We use Ambleside Online (with modifications to suit our non-christian life).  The lesson plans and book list are free, and most of the materials are easily found used or as e-books for free.  It also has excellent support groups on yahoo.

We do math, reading, spelling, handwriting and german every day.  We do history, science, and literature twice a week. Geography, music, and art once a week.  It takes approximately 1.5-2 hours a day.

blessdmommy
by on May. 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I just finished 1st (child #5) grade. He had handwriting struggles (has autism and fine motor issues) and handwriting without tears worked very well. We also used Math U See and Explode the Code. We read a lot of library books (he's a fluent reader so loved this). We were part of a home school co-op, so he did his science and social studies there, but if you need something inexpensive for science, Evan Moor makes wonderful science workbooks (K-2) - if you go to Barnes and Noble, you can get an educator card that will get you at 20% discount on these, making them even more affordable (and they can be copied and used in the future) - I used these previously w/ several of my children doing multiple grade levels.

As far as scheduling, we did need somewhat of a schedule (since he has autism, it just worked better that way) - i used a picture schedule that I made by downloading pictures and putting clear contact paper on them (then used a large piece of cardboard w/ velcro on it to attach each "subject" so he could see the flow of things and what he had left). I will probably expand on this and use a workbox system for 2nd grade. We don't sit that much...we put lots of activity in with the lessons (ie: acting out stories that are read, jumping squares while spelling and doing math facts) to make it fun.

I got geography from Evan Moor as well. Another great resource is CurrClick online...they have great downloads that you can print for many subjects. As far as how much to do, though, that really depends on the child (I have found this over my 13 years of schooling). Each child is different in what they need/can handle. You certainly want to be sure to cover the basics (reading, writing, math, and for me, religion)...the science and history are "gravy" - so if your child does well with them, go for it! But if they are struggling in any of the main subjects, focus on them and do the others less often. Keep it light and fun and that will help develop a love of learning :)

oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

for 1st grade

math- we did counting using objects and a chart so they would get the idea that a numbers equal things, we did easy addition problems(i made up sheets) rod and staff math workbooks were good, simple word problems, we learned some subtration also using manipulatives, learned a bit about place value, practiced writing out numbers, number card games, used large pieces of paper(newsprint rolls from the newspaper office-buy them cheap) we would do our math problems on it so we could make it any size and not have to stay on lines all the time.

lang. arts- if the child was ready for phonics we'd do that for about 15 min to 1/2 hour daily, read poems, learned rhyming words, made up poems, did lots of reading together, if child could read we would take turns reading, lots of narative work, did a bit of spelling very simple words-we started a spelling booklet, we learned about ending of a sentence, also to capitalize, we learned some handwriting italic method, copywork of simple sentences, did a bit of grammar, nouns verbs easy ones, made charts of the defintions for the walls, games, this was only if the child was already learning how to read in this age level if not we skipped this, well we did the handwriting and poems stuff.

science, history, bible i made up unit studies, we did butterflies, lady bugs, any kind of insect, frogs, did some fun map things with weekly reader workbooks, made unit studies on farm animals, wild animals, birds, worms,fish fun thing the kids wanted to learn, planted a garden, learned a bit about the weather, the planets, magnets, water, simple experiments, how to take care of pets, cooking, bible stories, memorized verses, songs, wrote poems about the units, field trips, lots of hands on stuff with these unit studies, kept pollywogs in a jar, spider in a jar, kept worms for dads fishing, fish in container, went fishing, grow plants from seeds, bird sounds, stuff like that!

As for a schedule we always started at 9 and went till 12, even as i added more of the kids, and they got older(when older sometimes we went to 1 depending on how much fun we had with our unit study!haha)

we also did spanish with our homeschool group,one of the moms was very bi lingual(sp) so she taught them all spanish! my oldest dd stills speaks it!

one thing that really helped me was i always wrote out a lesson plan for the week so i'd remember and know what i was doing, even if we didnt finish the stuff on the lesson plan, theres always tomorrow!

i have the kids do math, language arts, first thing, (they could concentrate better in the mornings for those subjects), then we'd do the unit studies after that so yes we covered just about every subject every day lets see, math, lang arts, bible, history, science, spell/vocab, phonics, art, handwriting, reading,

used the library a lot!!! used chalk board a lot, and those little chalk board slates, games, now days you've all got the internet and theres lots of free stuff on there for the younger ages!! you never have to buy any school books! just ink and copy paper!hahahah

as for curr. suggestions, well rod and staff i liked for math in those early years, all the rest i just made up using the library(hadnt invented internet then) and sometimes i'd find a workbook at the thrift store or a curr. fair or yard sale or just made up my own worksheets, you can do a lot using the game concentration using index cards!

debbie

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I read the curriculum (if you want a laugh --or need to become seriously depressed about the direction the human race is going in, I recommend reading your State's curriculum) and found out that K-2 is 1 piece. That is, there is no skill or information set that is different for a grade 2 kid from a kindergarten kid.

Our days looked very much like an average Saturday. We went to the park and the library... visited friends and family. Volunteered. Hung around at home. Read a mountain of books... watch movies and tv together... go on road trips...watch sports events...

padavali
by on May. 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I am in the process of figuring out what I am going to get for Hannah so far what I have is this:

MATH

Singapore Math

SS, GOV'T, HISTORY

Road Trip USA from Confessions of a Homeschooler

Cummunity Helpers ABeka

Reading

ABeka

SPELLING

ABeka OR All About Spelling OR Spectrum Spelling

CURSIVE 

ABeka

WRITING

WriteShop

MUSIC

Violin Lessons

SCIENCE

We are going to break up the year into unit studies that we will do on our own.  Sea, Weather, Land, Plants etc...

lanceallen
by on May. 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM

yes thats true it can mean a lot to be prepared now days and im shure you really want to help your child in the areas he is strugling in as you think about that because your not sure yet weather curricululum is expensive because its better or not or mayby you realize its just overwhealming and reaally that is a big concern in this area.

to really understand better what is it that youfin is really most important to you about focusing in and really being prepared?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)