Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Creation vs Evolution

Posted by on May. 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM
  • 1 Replies

We home school our daughter. She is almost 10. We use a completely Catholic curriculum but have recently decided that we want to expose her to more theories than just what exists within The Church. I'm sure my fellow Catholics/Christians may argue me on this (hey, it won't be the first time), but we firmly believe in giving her everything she needs to succeed academically... and personally. She has started to ask questions that go beyond the catechism, so we feel it is our duty to provide answers. My husband takes care of this for the most part. While he is a devout Roman Catholic, he is also a scientist by education and profession. For example, Autumn asked if dinosaurs came before Adam and Eve. She also asked where cave men came from since the Bible certainly doesn't portray Adam and Eve as cave men... but she was concerned/confused because the Bible states that God created Adam and Eve first. So my husband told her that there will come a time when she must mesh the theories together and decide what makes sense to her... in her mind and in her heart. He told her that while he personally believes in a more creation based theory, he supports and appreciates that science has proven "man" existed further back than the 10,000 years most Christians believe (excuse me if anything was lost in translation, as I am NOT the science major here, lol), so he cannot accept solely creation as "fact".

Regardless, back to the point... we want to include a more secular history and science supplement that can explain (in a kid friendly way) Darwin's theory and scientific fact. Key word here is "supplement". We intend to continue on with our regular curricula as well.  However, every home school curricula I come across seems to be Christian focused (heavily). If any of you computer savvy mommas know of any, please let me know.

Also, what do you think of including both "theories" in our curriculum? Do you think it will confuse her? Or do you think, since she is asking the questions, she is old enough to entertain thoughts without always accepting them as truth? She asked the other day "what she is supposed to believe" after she was presented with the fact that science has proven some Christian beliefs to be... ill researched. We told her that she *isn't* supposed to decide now. My husband told her that the best thing she can do right now is simply to take in all information provided, ponder it, research it, think about it, pray about it... and, when she is much older, make an EDUCATED decision as to her personal beliefs. Lol... he told her that there is nothing more annoying than a person who presents an argument in favor of an opinion or theory, but has absolutely nothing to back it up with.

So what say you? Too confusing for a 10 year old? My post too long? Rambling much, am I?

It's late, sorry. I'm on a brownie high.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

by on May. 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MommaChell
by on May. 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

laughingI've been on a few brownie-highs!

I think what you're husband told your daughter in response to her question of 'What she is suppose to believe' was very appropriate. You both know your 10yro better than anyone, If you believe she has a good understanding of what you're presenting her with and why, and remain open to trying to help her as best you can, I think you're doing great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)