Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

am I doing something wrong?

Posted by on May. 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

I feel like my kids are naughty.

my dd is 4.5. She loves doing schoolwork. Is learning to write her name, numbers, and the alphabet. I have tried in the past to teach her the abc's. The first time, I got to the letter "e" and she lost interest. now I started back at "a" and we are on "d" but she insists its a "b". we do cut-outs of the letter, think of things that begin with said letter, etc. I am not sure how much she is absorbing.

My youngest is 2.5, and yes, she tries to get all the attention. i occupy her with puzzles, etc.

But, my older dd will do good, then all of a sudden, she is sitting on the table. I am wondering if its too soon to *think* my kids have ADD or ADHD. DH has this, among other stuff and I wonder if theyr are going thru a phase.

IDK, my dd, Vanessa, is highly emotional! I have even thought that maybe she shows signs of ODD...

just for clarification-------I AM NOT ONE TO LABEL, AND LABELS MEAN NOTHING REALLY TO ME...

its just that i have looked up on her emotional outbursts etc. she cries easily, is easily offended, (like if i correct her behavior she will scream, and run to her room saying nobody loves her)

I have 1 boy, who is 10, and he is pretty mellow compared to my girls, a little emotional as well, but not too much.

so, is just a gender difference here or what?

should I lay back on teaching her?

she is the one who will  go get her books and say its  school time

she loves to learn, but Im not sure if she is retaining alot.

she was also "late" to speak, according to the doc, who wanted her to see a speech therapist, but i worked with her at home, and eventually she started to speak.

*I know I'm a princess,for my father is King of Kings* I am a momma to 3 blessed angels on earth, and 1 in heaven, gave my heart to my high school sweetheart,daughter to 2 great parents, sister to 2 wonderful brothers, catholic, pro life,strongwilled,goal driven,advocate for my kids,pet loving woman of God

by on May. 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poohbear1183
by on May. 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM

My dr is having my DD who will be 1 on the 21st. they come to my home and basically just play games with her and try to get her to imitate them.  I thinkit is a waste of time. i think it is okay that she is quiet when her sisiter is around. She is quite loud. How old was your child when they had concerns?

EddiesGirl8400
by on May. 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM
She was I *think* closer to 18 months...and she could communicate, just not with words. She understood every thing said to her, she just had a small vocabulary. Then one day...BAM! vanessa was speaking...so I just think sometimes its her personality,because she is the kind of kid who will shut down if not approached a certain way.

Quoting poohbear1183:

My dr is having my DD who will be 1 on the 21st. they come to my home and basically just play games with her and try to get her to imitate them.  I thinkit is a waste of time. i think it is okay that she is quiet when her sisiter is around. She is quite loud. How old was your child when they had concerns?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on May. 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I don't have any personal experience with any of the conditions you mentioned in your post, but I have experienced some of the situations and behaviors you shared about with my own kids. I don't believe anything you mentioned suggests that you're daughter has anything but the heart and will of a child. Children don't naturally come by self-control or selflessness, they are extremely impressionable, and they are constantly building on their understanding of things and testing their boundaries (especially with adults); everyday is a new learning adventure for them! In my experince with girls specifically, it seems they are naturally inclined to be dramatic and think they know best/want their own way. I believe with any child you will experience times when they will do something unexpected or inappropriate. With my children (my DD specifically), some days structured lessons are fine and other days she wants to do her own thing. I use to think often that my kids weren't focusing enough to soak in what I was trying to cover with them, over time I've learned that they simply process things in their own ways. Look for opportunities to incorporate what you're covering with them outside of school time; bath time, playing, shows, etc. Know that you can not teach ANYONE anything, you can only help them discover things for themselves and keep in mind that you and your children are all learning together, so try not to be to hard on them or yourself. Keep diligent, keep seeking wisdom & understanding, and practice patience in all things. The most important thing you can do is instill in them the love of learning, if they soak in that alone you have done your job well. Proverbs 16:3- Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Your children have their whole lives to learn, focus on enjoying all you do with them.

EddiesGirl8400
by on May. 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Thank you for this uplifting response. She is very bright, I am just being a parent, and being afraid of all the "what-ifs"

Quoting MommaChell:

I don't have any personal experience with any of the conditions you mentioned in your post, but I have experienced some of the situations and behaviors you shared about with my own kids. I don't believe anything you mentioned suggests that you're daughter has anything but the heart and will of a child. Children don't naturally come by self-control or selflessness, they are extremely impressionable, and they are constantly building on their understanding of things and testing their boundaries (especially with adults); everyday is a new learning adventure for them! In my experince with girls specifically, it seems they are naturally inclined to be dramatic and think they know best/want their own way. I believe with any child you will experience times when they will do something unexpected or inappropriate. With my children (my DD specifically), some days structured lessons are fine and other days she wants to do her own thing. I use to think often that my kids weren't focusing enough to soak in what I was trying to cover with them, over time I've learned that they simply process things in their own ways. Look for opportunities to incorporate what you're covering with them outside of school time; bath time, playing, shows, etc. Know that you can not teach ANYONE anything, you can only help them discover things for themselves and keep in mind that you and your children are all learning together, so try not to be to hard on them or yourself. Keep diligent, keep seeking wisdom & understanding, and practice patience in all things. The most important thing you can do is instill in them the love of learning, if they soak in that alone you have done your job well. Proverbs 16:3- Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Your children have their whole lives to learn, focus on enjoying all you do with them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on May. 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM

As far as the interest in letters, reading, writing at 4.5 I think she sounds normal.

Our government schools are failling miserablly on international test scores so to try and get them up they think we must start the kids in school younger and younger. And, when you're teaching the masses you have to test them and to teacha nd test 30 kids per one teacher they need to be able to read and write, but, developmentally, a child of 4, 5, or 6 or even older isn't always ready to read and write. I'd relax a bit with the 4.5 year old.

You can still teach her letters if she's interested, and phonics, and writing, but I wouldn't push at such a young age. It can easily frustrate a child when you ask them to do something (or they want to do it) and they can't. They don't understand that they can't just because they aren't developmentally ready, all they see is they tried and failed at something.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group