Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's apparent to me that helping someone to learn something is one of the best ways to learn it for yourself! My children are naturally helpful and often want to help each other....though it doesn't always go so well since their pre-ks, lol...and I let them try. Most instances I end up being pleasantly impressed. I use the opportunities to listen for my children's understanding of things and try and get a glimpse from their perspective. How do you incorporate this method into your homeschool life and what have been the outcomes?

by on May. 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Replies (11-18):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

LOL, we do tend to agree a lot. As does buzymama3   :-)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bren_darlene:

I guess you have to be there and have that many children to know. Seems to work real well for them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I think if the older child WANTS to help the younger child that is one thing. I totally disagree with families like the Duggars where the kids are "assigned" to a younger sibling to care for and teach them.

I agree that having an older student teach is great for both. We live by this in Boy Scouts. The older boys lead and train the younger boys in everything from pitching temts to 1st aid etc and they all learn more because of it.

I agree with Bren (SHOCK...LOL...when do Bren and i disagree?) But I think it works great with even less children. I only have 2 and I totally use it. Not only does it reinforce the lesson for the one teaching, but it also makes more of an impact on the younger, AND I think it's a great time for bonding, it teaches responsibility...Most people don't WANT to do extra work, by assigning such fun assignments to my boys, I realized I was showing them that extra, or hard, work can also be rewarding and fun!

I tend to treat schoolwork as a job, though, which is different than many moms. I see the kids completing their chores and school work (within reason) as their job, just as I and my DH have jobs. I'm flexible with it, and not totally hard nosed, but I have no problems with giving some Assignments that the kids have resistance to and expecting them to give it a real try before claiming it's boring or too hard.  

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I've put my 7 year old in charge of any and all geography lessons that go on in this house.  He LOVES learning about different countries and he's really good at teaching us about them.  We don't do much sit down schoolwork, but learning about geography seems so natural to him that he wants to share it with us.

Xakana
by on May. 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

My four year old constantly teachers her two year old sister. I just try to be prepared to clear up any misunderstandings if they arise. They just do it naturally.

oredeb
by on May. 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM

thats one of the things that helps me the most is when the kids will help each other, what they teach or help the other child with goes right into them, and gives it that extra edge. the kids love being helped by their brother or sister! i love seeing them help each other.  there is times that it doesnt work here, with one of the kids not wanting bro or sis to help them! stubborn!hahaha not wanting to admit that they dont know, but that gets worked through and everyone is happy! i always make sure that they thank each other for the help!

it also helps for when they are older and not afraid to ask for help! in the workplace, etc good training!

debbie

debbie

SimplySonita
by on May. 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Everytime my 4 wants to do some 'tradtional' school work, his big brother jumps right in to 'teach him'

It's cute. He loves to help and teach his big brother. It is not however, required of him.

Though sometimes having a 'group discussion' so a pupil can hear someone else explain something in a different way can be VERY helpful.

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Win a SmartKlean Laundry Ball-a $45 value!