Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kids teaching kids...

Posted by on May. 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM
  • 18 Replies

It's apparent to me that helping someone to learn something is one of the best ways to learn it for yourself! My children are naturally helpful and often want to help each other....though it doesn't always go so well since their pre-ks, lol...and I let them try. Most instances I end up being pleasantly impressed. I use the opportunities to listen for my children's understanding of things and try and get a glimpse from their perspective. How do you incorporate this method into your homeschool life and what have been the outcomes?

by on May. 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

when you have many children it is necessary really to incorporate the older children's help. And yes, it is beneficial to all. It re-enforces what the older has already learned and helps you spread yourself a little farther :)

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Gumberly
by on May. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM
My oldest is doing kindergarten/first grade and I haven't started "formal" lessons with my younger two yet. The younger two are already picking up a lot from their older brother and he enjoys showing them what he has learned so I hope to expand on, and encourage kid teaching as we go.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM
I think if the older child WANTS to help the younger child that is one thing. I totally disagree with families like the Duggars where the kids are "assigned" to a younger sibling to care for and teach them.

I agree that having an older student teach is great for both. We live by this in Boy Scouts. The older boys lead and train the younger boys in everything from pitching temts to 1st aid etc and they all learn more because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I guess you have to be there and have that many children to know. Seems to work real well for them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I think if the older child WANTS to help the younger child that is one thing. I totally disagree with families like the Duggars where the kids are "assigned" to a younger sibling to care for and teach them.

I agree that having an older student teach is great for both. We live by this in Boy Scouts. The older boys lead and train the younger boys in everything from pitching temts to 1st aid etc and they all learn more because of it.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM
It SEEMS to work for them...and tv is really good at showing what they WANT you to see. I can't believe that every one of those kids is happy playing mom/ nanny/ babysitter to their youner sibling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I use this method constantly. I'll often set out the supplies for a project, with detailed instructions, and listen as my almost-10y/o will launch into a lesson about the subject...he's so helpful!   Of course, my youngest is a mini-me so he'll only listen for a while before he has to interject! lol..I have always tried to get the kids to explain things in their own words. When my DH was working, I would often hear the kids explaining what they had learned during the day, with him when he got home. I love that my oldest wants to help his younger bro, and i totally agree with you that it has to help...but I can't employ the concept too often simply because my oldest has Aspergers so he'll often think he's making sense or saying a series of steps, when the opposite is the case. But I think this concept helps with that too. When an adult asks repeatedly for an explanation, it seems like you're doing something wrong, but if another kid asks it seems like just part of the conversation...

jeng1980
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 10:57 PM

It's already happened voluntarily and my oldest is only 1st grade.  I let it take place naturally.  I don't encourage or discourage it but will if I see that it is causing a problem in the learning for the youngers.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

i only have one child (for now..ttc) but i can see where this would be great!

ziff130
by on May. 19, 2011 at 7:41 AM

My 5 yo helps my 3 yo learn her numbers and letters. I love it! He practices writing while teaching her too so it's great! :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Quoting bren_darlene:

I guess you have to be there and have that many children to know. Seems to work real well for them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I agree with Bren (SHOCK...LOL...when do Bren and i disagree?) But I think it works great with even less children. I only have 2 and I totally use it. Not only does it reinforce the lesson for the one teaching, but it also makes more of an impact on the younger, AND I think it's a great time for bonding, it teaches responsibility...Most people don't WANT to do extra work, by assigning such fun assignments to my boys, I realized I was showing them that extra, or hard, work can also be rewarding and fun!

I tend to treat schoolwork as a job, though, which is different than many moms. I see the kids completing their chores and school work (within reason) as their job, just as I and my DH have jobs. I'm flexible with it, and not totally hard nosed, but I have no problems with giving some Assignments that the kids have resistance to and expecting them to give it a real try before claiming it's boring or too hard.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)