Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wanting a break....

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

It's so nice when my husband will take over the kids for me and let me have some time to myself- an hour or two is so nice. Since my husband has taken some time off for his birthday this coming week, I'm hoping he'll oblige me such time, he's usually really great about it. I have some reading I'd like to do and some projects I'd like to work on. How do you spend time to yourself when you get it? 

by on May. 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeanutEmmynem
by on May. 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM
At the grocery store:(...I don't really know what to do with myself anymore, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToraMay
by on May. 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM

read. grocery shopping. writing. computer.

mamadowns
by on May. 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I rarely get time alone.  When I do I take my dogs to the dog park or just for a really long walk around town!

LindaClement
by on May. 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Over the years, of intensive little-kids solo parenting (dh is a navy sailor, who I think spent 7 of 10 years at sea) I found that getting 'an hour or two' to myself was not only ridiculously difficult and stressful to arrange.

I found a wonderful book, Mother Nurture, at the same time I found The Power of Full Engagement --two books from different directions that say the same thing:

It's much more important to maintain (and re-build) energy throughout the day in order to avoid becoming depleted in the first place.

In the end, that meant that I became aware of the small moments, starting early in the day, for opportunities to stare out the window, do 6 ab crunches, have a glass of water, put my feet up and close my eyes, lie on the living room floor and stare at the ceiling, a quick facial massage, a moment's meditation, jotting a few lines to a friend...

It is always easier to maintain a high energy level throughout the day than it is to drag energy up out of a deep whole.

ahutt1976
by on May. 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM

If I actually had time to myself, without feeling guilty, and rushed, I dont know if I would  sleep, drink some wine, or acutally use a gift certificate I got for a spa a while back, tha tI never did get excited about because everything on their menu is more than the gift, and I know there is never the time for me to truly enjoy the experience.  

oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

now days in the garden, or making soap, on the computer, working on my blogs, reading

when my kids where little i was a single mom till oldest was 12, and i was with them all day long, but i didnt mind, i was very blessed to just be able to be with them and able to homeschool them and not have to leave them with a babysitter because of having to  work, but the kids went to bed around 9 everynight and after that i would do things, like read, write letters, sew, etc. the things i couldnt do (my favorite) at night like working in the garden i would do with them during the day, they had there little patches to work on and dig in.

as they got older everyday we would have a quiet time during the day for about an hour when they would either take a nap, read quietly to themselves or play quietly etc and that just continued till as they grew older.

debbie

Liansmommie
by on May. 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I usually just spend the time catching up on stuff.

okaymom36
by on May. 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM

What is time to yourself? I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in 27 years. I guess I would go shopping, or out to lunch with a friend. The last time I went to dinner with a friend DH called my cell EIGHT times....

SimplySonita
by on May. 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Usually online or wathing tv! LOL

Sonita -Mom to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

~Click to win your own SmartKlean Laundry ball! A $45 value! (Ends 5/23)