Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How "plugged-in" are your kids?

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do your kids have their own tech devices e.g. cellphones, laptops? How much time do they spend on them? What are their privileges like? 

by on May. 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM

DS1 has a cell phone. It is ath GZ1 Boulder - the shock proof, waterproof military spec phone. he does NOT have internet. He is 13yo. He got it last year because he went back to the east coast for 21 days (we live on the west coast) for National Jamboree. He used it all of 4 times to call home @@ LOL and 3 of the times were me calling his Patrol leader saying, "If Mr. Barr is alive, tell him to call his Mommy" He usues it ocassionally, the scouts call him on it and his Antler's program mentor texts them remindres on meeting nights. Other than that, it sits on his shelf.

He also has a REALLY NICE zune (microsoft's version of the iPod) that was his Dad's who just HAD to upgrade his @@ uggg...boys and thir toys. He uses it almost daily while he doesschool work to block out the house sounds and zone out. He is NOT allowed to live with it plugged in all the time, can't take it frocery shopping, church, scouts etc.

The younger two 10 yo and 8 yo each have $20 generic MP3 players. They dont havea ton of songs on them so they don't use them a whole lot. I will probably get Ds2 a refurb  zune for his birthday.

DS1 & DS2 also both have used hand-me-down computers in their rooms but neither has internet service.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

No, they do not have their own computers or cell phones. We did let our 18 yr old have her own cell as her fiance is paying for it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I actually get this question a lot! My boys are (almost) 10 and (just turned) 7 so they are right on the cusp of those techi ages....My boys have their own gaming systems (DS, Playstation, Nintendo, Wii) and they have their own TV and VCR, they have their own computer (tho its broken right now)....I'd say they spend the most of their time gaming - but are really good about wanting physical activity to go with it...like they still ask to go play outside everyday. My boys dont go anywhere without either my DH or I so I don't feel they need their own cell phones. We have 2 ipod's but use them as a family.....I am not one of those mom's who feels the need to limit these things as of yet....some days I'll knock on their door to check if they are still breathing in there...lol...but those days are few and far between...I guess if they started locking themselves away from the world and didn't care to do things as a family or if they didn't keep active and healthy otherwise, then I'd start limiting access. But we use the Wii as a form of "gym" class and for developing balance and coordination. And if the kids don't do their chores or finish school work, they will have restrictions in place...or if they fight over a game or don't win/lose graciously then they could loose a game for a while...but otherwise, we leave them to it.

Gumberly
by on May. 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Mine are 6 and 3 so the cell phone is obviously a no go. My older DS has a hand me down nintendoDS that he is allowed to play for no more then a hour a day and if he misbehaves he doesn't play. We also have a Wii, 360, and PS3. All 3 have a couple games they can play on the Wii but the twins don't play often and my older DS knows it's a either/or, if he decides to play the wii then no DS.
I am not extrimily strict but DS gets so focused all he wants to do is play the DS.
No kid owned computers and the only time my DS is on mine it's for school. He really isn't all that interested in the computers. I do plan to teach him how to do research on the computer on his own when he is ready. He already gets the concept of "googling" things and will ask me to google stuff for him lol.
buzymamaof3
by on May. 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Mine only have vsmiles, which they rarely play.  They are allowed to use my laptop under supervision on a kid friendly browser.

SAHM_USAF
by on May. 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM

My oldest son is 8 and has no need for a cell phone (and certainly none of the younger ones do, either!) since we wait for him while he's at martial arts practice or CCD, and elsewhere he is always with one of us parents.

I have uploaded several kids' educational computer games to my old laptop but it is still on the computer desk in the dining room. My 4-year-old rarely plays on it, but my 8-year-old usually plays half an hour of "fun" computer time (usually on the bionicle website, sometimes flipping through the lego website looking at new sets) about 3-4 times a week, and after that he's allowed to play half an hour of educational computer time (though he only does that a couple of times a week, too).

My kids also are allowed half an hour of video game time per day, a right which they exercise almost every single day (Sundays are video-game-free, though!). Sometimes the 8- and 4-year-olds will play together (and sometimes even include their 2-year-old brother, though he mostly just stands there waving the controller around lol) and sometimes they will play their time separately. Sometimes we will play Wii sports together as a family; even my husband and I will play (that's always fun!). The gaming systems are family-owned, though, and located in the living room.

My kids do not have TVs in their bedrooms; there is no need. They only spend time up there when they are trying to get away from their little brothers because they want to play legos or bionicles, or when they are sleeping! :P

ziff130
by on May. 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM

My 5 year old has a VReader --- like an e-reader but for little kids. It has comprehension and reading games to go with the books on it too! He also uses the desktop to play educational games like Jumpstart or PBS kids. He plays Jumpstart for a couple of hours at a time. It's totally educational and he's doing the K level right now and he starts K in the fall. He's completed the game already and I have him doing it again to make sure he knows the info. We rarely watch tv. The 3 yo really doesn't have the attention span to do anything like that. She plays. My kids have to earn points with good behavior and chores and then use that for tv and computer time.

padavali
by on May. 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

My DD is 4, so no cell, and won't for many years to come :)  But she does use my Laptop and iPad through out the day.  In moderation.

SouthernMama08
by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:39 PM

My son is 3 and is a little techie for sure!  He doesn't have his own computer, but he does use the family desk top and has his own games.  He uses my iPod all the time (has since he was 2).  He has an iXL and will most likely get a DS for Christmas.  My kid loves anything high tech and is already asking for an iPad.

That being said, his FAVORITE thing to do is to read.  He loves books (we are already started on chapter books).  He's very active.  I really limit TV time with him.  But I'm not so hard about computer time.  He gets about an hour a day on the computer (although he doesn't asks for the computer every day).  He gets the iPod throught the day for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. 

jeng1980
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM

DS(7) just got a Nintendo DSiXL for reward for meeting his reading goal.  The family got a Nintendo Wii for Christmas.  I got the Wii Fit in which I need to start back using.  I am going to incorporate some exercise(PE) into our school next year for sure.  DD(5) plays on educational websites such as PBS kids, starfall, nickjrboost, and zoodles a couple of times a week.  DS(7) was really bad at first with the Wii and that's all he wanted to do so I def limited his time until he figured out that he needed to do other things as well like being physically active.  DS(2) like another mentioned plays along with DS and DD waving the controller around THINKING that he is playing.  He loves Mario Kart and feels like a big kid with the olders.  I love it when they are all 3 playing with no bickering backa nd to.  We have one TV which is in the living room and we have a laptop and a desktop computer.  The desktop computer is used for the educational websites and online games.  We've recently discovered the yahoo games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)