Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How "plugged-in" are your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your kids have their own tech devices e.g. cellphones, laptops? How much time do they spend on them? What are their privileges like? 

by on May. 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Edited by
Replies (11-16):
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM

My son(5) has an iPad mini(Grammy & aunt & uncle all went in together to buy him one WAY back when he was 2.5) that he uses a lot for Netflix, games, and interactive storybooks. He plays Disney Junior & PBS kids games on the desktop Mac sometimes too. He carries it around with him after school time and plays to the sound of Curious George in the background usually. He really likes the Sid the Science Kid apps and Angry Birds for fun but he doesn't play them everyday. He doesn't like to use it in the car OT on air planes and we don't take it to restaurants

by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2015 at 10:19 PM

They each have a tablet, but the access to them is very limited.  They are allowed to use them on long car rides.  They can access them here at home for 30 mins a day if they choose, but they usually find something else to take up their time.

by on Oct. 7, 2015 at 10:28 PM
Kids are 15, 13 and 8. They use to all have their own tablets, but they broke. They were on them way to much. I am currently trying to fix our old computer for them, but I will limit their usage via parental controls. They share a xbox, they can only play on weekends or nonschool days. I have to kick them off of it cause they will play all day long. Yesterday was a no xbox day. They each have a ds but they rarely touch those.
Their Dad doesn't care how much they play video games, but I care. The oldest use to have her own cell phone but she broke it. The kids all share a house phone. They can have a cell phone when they can buy and pay for it.
by Member on Oct. 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM

They each have a 3ds and their own phones. Dh gave them our old phones since they like some of the games. Neither can do more than play games, though. They are only allowed games on the weekends. During the week they do their lessons and spend time outside. If we have a good day and lessons are done fast, we usually watch a movie or play a board game together.

by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM

DS is twelve. He owns a laptop, but no cell, no tablet, no portable game system. We have an old Wii we got for free, but we use it more for Netflix and Youtube streaming than games.

DS gets an hour of free time on the computer on school days if he gets his work done and doesn't have to make it up studying because of a bad grade (that last part is new this year since he's slacking off.)  On weekends he often gets more - a few hours maybe, if he wants it and if there's time.

He gets TV time, but it just depends.

I'm not a big fan of the "plugged in kids". If we go somewhere and have to wait in line he brings a book. I also used to carry hot wheels and little figures with me so he could play when he was younger. I hate when people shove a screen in their kids face for every little thing.

by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 3:26 PM
My kids have had smart phones since age 9. As teens, they have phones, tablets, and computers. I monitor their history and have all their passwords, but other than that, we don't restrict much. Ds has a YouTube channel, but other than that, they do social media, watch videos, do research, or play games.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN