Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much do u do?

Posted by on May. 17, 2011 at 10:11 AM
  • 28 Replies

I always wonder how other HS families break it down....I'm the teacher in this house 100%. When my DH was working the kids would go over everything they had learned that day...and now that both my DH and i are laid off, I'm still doing all the school work (I don't think he has the patience for it). But each night at dinner, we all eat together, I have been reading a book on Quantum Physics --even though my oldest (who has Aspergers) is really the only one who 'gets' it without my having to explain in great detail....and my DH will usually sigh and leave the table rather than sit while I read (usually during dessert)....so I was just wondering about how other families break things down?

by on May. 17, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It would bore DH to tears if I read to the kids at the dinner table. Sorry, I kind of feel for your DH. IMO- family dinners are to share with each other about their day or discuss things, not to liten to a reading. A reading is really a one sided activity.

I do the school work. Dh's involvement is asking if they are done so that he can watch a movie or play video games with the kids.  He smiles and nods when they share their "report cards"  with him 2x a year.  If I havea SPECIFIC subject or activity I need them to work on and I ask him to oversee it, he will do it for me but it's rare.

His parents were VERY VERY uninvolved when he was growing up so seeing him take any interest is exciting.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 18, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It would bore DH to tears if I read to the kids at the dinner table. Sorry, I kind of feel for your DH. IMO- family dinners are to share with each other about their day or discuss things, not to liten to a reading. A reading is really a one sided activity.

I do the school work. Dh's involvement is asking if they are done so that he can watch a movie or play video games with the kids.  He smiles and nods when they share their "report cards"  with him 2x a year.  If I havea SPECIFIC subject or activity I need them to work on and I ask him to oversee it, he will do it for me but it's rare.

His parents were VERY VERY uninvolved when he was growing up so seeing him take any interest is exciting.

I guess I didn't really explain very well. I only read a few paragraphs, then we talk about the idea or concept. With both of my DH and I being unemployed at the moment we're all here all day, together, so our old activity of discussing what the kids had done that day (to keep DH informed) is kinda a waste of time. I hadn't planned on doing a science discussion during dinner - although Quantum Physics is equal parts philosophy and science....but we use the few paragraphs as a conversation starter. I love that the kids are interested in having an intelligent conversation at table. 

It's funny to see how different he and I are...he's more, IDK, practical in his thoughts, he doesn't think about faith or philosophy (or science, as the case may be). I remember on a date we went on, early in our relationship, I guess i was staring off into space, b-cuz he asked me what I was thinking... I replied, 'If the universe is always expanding, what's on the other side of it?" He looked really confused, so I explained the theory of black matter and universe expansion, then stated for something to be expanding it denotes a finite size, so what's just on the other side? He told me i was on crack to be contemplating such things...He must be ruing the day he let me be in charge of the kids education! LOL (jk)...

That's great that sometimes your DH will help out with a project. I often call myself an interpreter because it often seems my DH and Kids speak different languages and lock horns. SO DH doesn't do much with them due to the 'language' barrier..hehehe...  

Gumberly
by on May. 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM
I do the schooling. When I started my DH was over seas so it was obviously all me all the time. Now DH is home all the time (long story) but it's still all me. He is interested in what DS is doing ,sort of, but he has no patients and turnig him lose with DS would be educational suicide.
reneawesley
by on May. 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM
I'm in charge of school but dh wants to know what we're doing. When oldest learns how to read new words we show him when he gets home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa6705
by on May. 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

My DD tells my hubby when he gets home what we have done but other than that he isn't very involved. Well he does teach her art....

hailnbray
by on May. 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM

i do it all. he doesnt question what i do at home and i dont question what he does at work. The kids may get excited when they learn something new and talk to their dad about it show off to him but in general its not a group thing. My daughter goes to her fathers house every other weekend and if she didnt finish her work i send it with her for him to work on with her but its more of like a public school kid doing homework at home then him actually teaching her anything

cedailey
by on May. 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I'm a single mom, so it's all me all the time.

SouthernMama08
by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Right now I do everyting.  My son has a School Folder that he goes over at night with his daddy.

However, as DS gets older, my husband will be taking over math and sciene.

jeng1980
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

DH works out of town during the week so it's me all the time.  DH sometimes will pitch in if I'm totally burned out which is almost weekly.  He is off on Fridays most every week so he will usually teach our 1st grader.  We have a Pre-K daughter and 2 year old son.  He either deals with the 2 year old while I do school with 1st grader and Pre-KL or vice versa.  He really helps out more than I expect him to.  I am so thankful that he wants to.

Laurke
by on May. 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I haven't started yet, but it will be all me, as is the house work, yard work, and most maintenance on everything, lol.  Luckily, I just have one son and the foster kids will be in public school...I'm half-dreading the summer, though! (I've only had these 2 for 2 weeks and we havent' quite "settled" into each other yet)

I have upfront given dh the expectation that he will help in later years with math and finances and chemistry, as he was a chemistry major and is a financial advisor and CEO currently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)