Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I always wonder how other HS families break it down....I'm the teacher in this house 100%. When my DH was working the kids would go over everything they had learned that day...and now that both my DH and i are laid off, I'm still doing all the school work (I don't think he has the patience for it). But each night at dinner, we all eat together, I have been reading a book on Quantum Physics --even though my oldest (who has Aspergers) is really the only one who 'gets' it without my having to explain in great detail....and my DH will usually sigh and leave the table rather than sit while I read (usually during dessert)....so I was just wondering about how other families break things down?

by on May. 17, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Replies (21-28):
JenA123
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I do most of it, my husband does recreational activities and more of an unschooling approach, he gardens with them, takes them hiking, and they explore all sorts of different stuff that way.  He also reads them books, and I have him help with the Chinese sometimes, since he is the one that speaks it (not I).

FlyHippie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I do it all. I do all the kid stuff and house stuff....he is a workaholic so can't fit it in! LOL!

he does coach baseball and basketball...used to do football, but DS doesn't play anymore...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I do most of the teaching... however, my husband is wonderful about helping in a few areas. In science I can only teach per our curriculum books and dvds (science isn't my strong suit). Luckily for me, my husband is a scientist by education, degree and profession and he is always willing to help if Autumn has a question about science that I cannot explain. For example, we use a Catholic curriculum so her science feed right now is creation, but we want her to be well versed in evolution so that she can make up her own mind when she is older, so my husband is taking the lead on teaching evolution. Also, if Autumn has a religion question that stumps me, a typical retort on my end is "ask Dad". Lol. My husband helps her with piano as well.

I completely take care of math, reading, most religion, grammar, history, art appreciation, spelling etc.

We do not do school related work at dinner. We use dinner as a way to connect about our day and have pleasant conversation. My husband asks Autumn what she learned that day - but that's it for mention of school.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

So_Blessed7
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM

That's unfortunate that he chooses to sigh and leave the table. What a sign of disrespect and a bad example for your kids. We try to do as much as a family as possible. I stay at home so obviously most of it is on me, but when DH is home he enjoys being apart of their learning.

MrsM121
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Maybe, but if this happens over and over again then IMO he is showing obvious signs of either simply not wanting to hear it (again) OR he is uncomfortable with the material (doesn't understand it maybe - total guess here). Maybe he just doesn't want to hear books being read while you're supposed to be eating and focusing on the whole family (that would be my view).

Either way for him to get up over and over again should be a sure sign there is a problem and the OP seems indifferent to her husband's needs/wishes to me.  If it was my house and my husband I'd just wait until dinner and dessert was done to take a few moments to read the book.

Quoting So_Blessed7:

That's unfortunate that he chooses to sigh and leave the table. What a sign of disrespect and a bad example for your kids. We try to do as much as a family as possible. I stay at home so obviously most of it is on me, but when DH is home he enjoys being apart of their learning.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

Maybe, but if this happens over and over again then IMO he is showing obvious signs of either simply not wanting to hear it (again) OR he is uncomfortable with the material (doesn't understand it maybe - total guess here). Maybe he just doesn't want to hear books being read while you're supposed to be eating and focusing on the whole family (that would be my view).

Either way for him to get up over and over again should be a sure sign there is a problem and the OP seems indifferent to her husband's needs/wishes to me.  If it was my house and my husband I'd just wait until dinner and dessert was done to take a few moments to read the book.

Quoting So_Blessed7:

First, you know me not at all to make an acusation like I'm ignoring my husbands 'needs.' As you pointed out, this ISN'T your house. I asked the question about husbands involvement in school, because my husband ISN'T involved, and i was looking for other mother's in my predicament - whose husbands support and like that their family are homeschoolers, but who want absolutely nothing to do with the actual process. Second, I used the dinner table as an EXAMPLE, as this is what he does even at 1pm when we start a math lesson and he happens to be in the same room (or God forbid, I ask for the t.v. to be turned off). I didn't realize people would focus more on the example than the question. Furthermore I think the kids ask me to read the (at most 2 paragraphs) and start a discussion, because it's better than "eat your dinner", "stop kicking your brother", etc. that was fast becoming our dinner routine. I would even understand if the material was difficult to understand but my youngest is only 7 and though the concept of quantum physics sounds scary, we're not talking about the mathematics nor equations of the topic, but more the ideas, and like I said, he'll do the same thing with any topic and at any time. And that's fine, I'm accepting of my DH...I wish he would make a point of rolling his eyes and sighing, but if he doesn't want to be involved I'm not looking to make him...And, as I said in another reply, it was a bit different when he was working - we would discuss our day at dinner...but he's been unemployed for months, and is home with us all day long...so there wasn't much to inform each other of that we all hadn't taken part in, from during the day. It's been a challenge for us all having to adjust behaviors and communication levels. (I swear my oldest and he just don't speak the same language). And with an Asperger child, having any deviation in schedule/lifestyle is very upsetting and challenging (hence the strained dinner convo b4 I brought out the book the first time.) And I'm not trying to judge my DH for his behavior, I understand some of his frustrations. But I wish he could express differently, that it's not that he doesn't want to be here, just wished he had a job - but, let's face it, to my kids, it looks much the same.

I was just hoping for support from other mom's in my own /similar situation....thanks

dusk90
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM

If I get pregnant this December Insha Allah, for which I am praying for, then our baby will be in daycare when he/she is 3 months old.  However I will be teaching our baby about our religion from the day he/she is born and attempting to teach him/her Arabic along with learning myself as that is DH's native language and we want our baby to be bilingual.  When in preschool I'll tutor our baby in our religion and in his/her father's native language and of course he/she will listen to his/her father speak in Arabic on the phone. 

MrsM121
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting MrsM121:

Quoting So_Blessed7:

First, you know me not at all to make an acusation like I'm ignoring my husbands 'needs.' As you pointed out, this ISN'T your house. I asked the question about husbands involvement in school, because my husband ISN'T involved, and i was looking for other mother's in my perdicament - whose husbands support and like that their family are homeschoolers, but who want absolutely nothing to do with the actual process. I used the dinner table as an EXAMPLE, as this is what he does even at 1pm when we start a math lesson and he happens to be inthe same room. I didn't realize people would focus more on the example than the question. Furthermore I think the kids ask me to read the (at most 2 paragraphs) and start a discussion, because it's better than "eat your dinner", "stop kicking your brother", etc. that was fast becoming our dinner routine. I would even understand if the material was difficult to understand but my youngest is only 7 and though the concept of quantum physics sounds scary, we're not talking about the mathematics nor equations of the topic, but more the ideas, and like I said, he'll do the same thing with any topic and at any time. And that's fine, I'm accepting of my DH...I wish he would make a point of rolling his eyes and sighing, but if he doesn't want to be involved I'm not looking to make him...I was just hoping for support from other mom's in my own /similar situation....thanks.     

No you are not making him be involved, but I stand by what I said regarding being indifferent.  If the action gets the same reaction over and over again and it continues that is indifference.  Maybe he is the one being indifferent towards you. 

The more I read about how you describe the differences between you and your husband in your reply to Jinx-Troublex3 on the first page it is obvious you are two very different people mentally.  It's obviously an issue for you but what I would do and what you would do are totally different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)