Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The importance of being a little selfish....

Posted by on May. 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

It is so easy for HS mom's (and most mom's for that matter) to get stressed out. It's so easy to forget our sanity is important too. I mean think about it - we spend 99% of our days thinking of our families and providing everything they need. But if I've learned one thing in the last 10 years, it's that it's important for us to not forget about ourselves. No matter how busy our day, or how tired/overwhelmed we get, we need to be a little selfish once in a while or we'll end up completely burnt out - then we're no good for anyone. It doesn't have to be complex or expensive, just take a few minutes to do something you enjoy for yourself.

What do you do for your YOU time?

I read in the evenings. Once the kids are in bed - at about 8 pm, my DH settles in to watch all those competition tv shows (Idol, DWTS, Voice, etc) so I go outside - no matter the weather - and read. I don't care if the house looks like it was invaded by crazed elves, I think I'd go a little crazy without that short time to read a brainless book (my guilty pleasure are paranormal romance novels....cheezy I know!).

by on May. 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Don't mess with my karate night! LOL I make sure I get there every Tuesday.

Daily, I read or jump on the computer and play games or hit the message boards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Don't mess with my karate night! LOL I make sure I get there every Tuesday.

Daily, I read or jump on the computer and play games or hit the message boards.

Aww my boys have totally taken over my karate nights! Now its a family affair...but I know what you mean. There is no greater stress relief than a good sparring session.

What style do you do? I have  a second degree blk in Kenpo and years ago I made 'instructor' in Krav Maga (before they mainstreamed it into a 'normal' martial arts).

buzymamaof3
by on May. 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

OP is right.  It is very easy for us moms to get caught up in life and give every minute to our families, but we all need ME time. 

I read, surf the net, run on the treadmill, walk the dogs or sometimes head over to Borders and sit in a cozy chair and read there.  :)

jeng1980
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

My DH is gone during the week so I get little me time during the week. We do have strict schedules which include a bedtime of no later than 8:30. 8PM if I can help it. I get online daily on FB and here on CafeMom.  I love to work outiside in my little garden.  It's my newly discovered love.  I love to read inspirational books.  I'm working on one by Meagan Breedlove called Manna for Moms.  I also love the Confident Woman devotional by Joyce Meyer.  My ME time is from 8-10 or 11 every night and from 5-7AM every morning.  I am working on getting up at 5 still.  It's been really hard for me to since we went on vacation in March.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM

still working on the whole "me time" thing.  i sew sometimes & i am trying to do it more.

bmw29
by Member on May. 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I read every night and while I avoid the Dr. like the plague I make sure to save some time and money to visit my chiropractor. :)

peanut06
by on May. 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM

We can easily get trapped in kids-oinly mode.  Ever tried to have a conversation on a dinner-date with hubs that DOESN'T involve something child-related??  Aside from Cafemom and Farmville, and occasionally reading, my "me" time is in the kitchen.  My kids both have food allergies and I'm a soy-free vegan, so I love it when I have time to explore new (to me) recipes.  I plug in a kid-friendly video, close the gate to the kitchen, and enjoy a few minutes in my very cozy little kitchen.  Now if only I had a dishwasher or a cleaning fairy (or hubby didn't work on the boat 4 weeks straight out of 6 weeks)  LOL

Also, I'd **like** to have a sewing machine to use my creative spirits on all the fabric and patterns I've amassed.

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM

It took me many years to not feel guilty about "ME" time.  Now I take it as often as I can (well 2 times a month plus a few more hours here and there)  Definitely a much needed thing and I should have done it sooner.

ziff130
by on May. 19, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I find that I am a better mom if I go to the gym for an hour or so each day. They have childcare so I get a little break. I don't want them gone all day in school but a small break is nice. :) I get a shower afterwards too w/o wondering what the kids are up to. =o)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Well, lately it's one ordeal after another so I haven't had much "me" time.  But when I do get it, I like to sew, read, sit on the deck.  I love to be outside, but it has been raining almost non-stop since mid-april and lately it's back to COLD.  I have definitely taken advantage of every nice day!  it's supposed to be nice Friday and Saturday - I can't wait!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)