Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi, y'all! I'm new here :)

Posted by on May. 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm new here, but I've been planning our homeschooling career since before we got pregnant the first time.  My husband and I live in western Kentucky and have 3 children, one we will never get to home school because she passed away 3.5 years ago.  But, her younger siblings are already experiencing mom's love of learning.  We have another dd, 10 months younger than our "forever baby" so almost 3 years old and then a DS, who is almost 10 months old.  For now, home schooling consists of reading to them, playing and exploring the world around us, coloring/painting, counting our steps (and anything else she takes a fancy to count), and just picking things up along the way, like shapes, colors, kid's songs, left and right....  You might be amazed what your toddler or preschooler can pick up just by helping you rinse dishes!!  I'm also trying to work with DS on signing a little because it really helped ease the frustration for DD when she was at that pre-verbal point.

I've read a lot about the negatives of TV, but still I allow a controlled amount of edu-tainment, like Dora, Kai-Lan, Wonderpets, and Sid the Science Kid.

Researching all the different curriculum and learning styles, I've set up about a 14-page spreadsheet with options for preschool-12th grade, no joke, 14-pages!  Right now, I'm leaning toward a loose CM-like method, hopefully teaching history and science to both kids at the same time most years, just working on reading/writing/math at their levels.

Anyway, if there's anyone near me, I'd love to hear it.  I finally met someone IRL who admitted to being homeschooled the other day and it really made me like her even more :)
Clara

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
by on May. 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SimplySonita
by on May. 19, 2011 at 1:24 AM

welcometo homeschool moms!

sounds like you're doing great. Just don't stress, nothing has to change just because they hit complusory age-you're already homeschooling mama!

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Win a SmartKlean Laundry Ball-a $45 value!