Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Newbie! From Texas!

Posted by on May. 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello, Im a newbie here. Im from tx and I have a 3 1/2. Weve been discussing weather or not to home school.

Anybody have any advice?

by on May. 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I always encourage everyone to home educate. There is nothing like it!  All of our children were/are home educated. Most have already graduated from our home school. I only have 2 still in school. You are in a great homeschooling state also.  I did my first 10 yrs or so in TX :)

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

swim-mom72
by on May. 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Well HOWDY! We are in Texas too. Having moved here recently from WV I can say that Texas is a great state to homeschool in. There are no guidlines since they see homeschooling as a private school.

SimplySonita
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Well you couldn't have picked a better state to homeschool in! All state should have TX homeschooling laws!

Are you a SAHM now? Do you spend time with your child? Do you do fun things together? Do you encourgae your child to learn and make progress now? Do you answer your child's questions about things?

If so, honey you're already homeschooling! Don't get scared, nothing has to change just because your child reaches compulsory age! If your already teaching your child at home there is no need for a big, traumatic transition for mom or child to homeschool....

Just follow your child's interest and let hi/her learn. Let your child pick out books from the library. Read them to him/her. Explore the world around you and encourage your child to ask questions and dig deeper.

On of my favorite things about homeschoolign is your child can dig deep into a subject they are passionate about. We do a lot of unit studies based on my children's interests. Most focus on bugs, reptiles, or some other animal. LOL My son wants to be a zoo keeper when he grows up. So we focus on that for right now. If his interests change, so will what we study....

You'll do fine mama!

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4) 

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Win a SmartKlean Laundry Ball-a $45 value!