Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does your school year run?

Posted by on May. 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

For our DoI we go fro Aug 1-July 31. We're offically done with our 180 days required byt he state but I think a long summer break makes kids loose info, so we school year round. Just during the summer I don't have to worry about what we are covering. Don't have to count hours. Don't have to file attendance. Summer school is the way homeschool was meant to be! happy

Sonita - Homeschooling Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

Win a SmartKlean Laundry Ball-a $45 value!

by on May. 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:15 AM

We are sort of eclectic homeschooling unschoolers.  LOL  We learn a lot all the time, but no set sit-down school work unless requested (which it is quite a bit).  My kids are 5 and 7.  My 7 year old son reads and writes ALL THE TIME, so I don't feel like we need to worry about him right now.  My 5 year old daughter has some learning issues due to vision issues (eye teaming problems, etc), so we are just pretty much doing vision therapy with her and letting her learn things as they come. 

We'll probably worry more about sit down stuff around age 11 or so.

suziejax
by Member on May. 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We go from mid to end of August to the middle of end of May each year.

oredeb
by on May. 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

we start in sept sometime and end by may 7 every year. so we are done till sept!

debbie

cedailey
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM

We do one set of things from Aug to May, then cover "special" topics in the summer.  Eastern culture and history, math games and puzzles, Mythology, whatever the kids want to do in depth that doesn't fit into our school year.

Christine0813
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:46 AM

We haven't officially started yet. I do plan on starting in July. Just don't know when we will end. We will just go with the flow.

Melissa6705
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:20 AM
We school year round.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeniferJuniper
by on May. 20, 2011 at 8:51 AM

This is our first year and we're done for now...I just mailed in the CAT to our superintendent so now we take a break and maybe in a month or so we can begin again.  I would like to plan lots of fun learning activities and projects for the summer though so ds doesnt forget all that he's learned! 

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM

We never started, so we never stopped... we wake up in the morning learning things, go to bed at night learning things and I can't find any dividing lines during the day when it isn't happening, so it never made sense to me to 'start' at 5 or 6 (or 3 or 9) or to 'stop' at 17 or 18 or 21 or 70...

Liansmommie
by on May. 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

official lesson run from the first week in september to the middle of june. He has clubs once a week during the summer and practice for reading and writing which he is struggling with.

dusk90
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM

No kids yet but this is my schedule as of right now: we have off a week for Eid Al Fitr, a week off for Eid Al Adha, a week off for spring break and two weeks off for winter break.  Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha are our two holidays in Islam.  In my husband's country chlidren get a week off for Eid Al Fitr and a week off for Eid Al Adha. I think they also get off for Saudi National Day as well.  While in America our school year will run Monday-Friday but once in DH's country our week will be according to DH's school/work week with school Saturday-Wednesday and the weekend Thursday and Friday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)