Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just wondering how many of y'all belong to a local homeschooling group? Or have you started your own?  Or have you thought about starting your own?

by on May. 19, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Replies (21-29):
SouthernMama08
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM

You can say that again.  But I'm gonna try to get something started in the area...I hope.  I know there has to be more than you and me here.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I've tried to start one, but on one is interested in it.  Looking for a secular local group hasn't turned up much where I live.  The other groups are farther then I can travel or have really bad timing for activities.  Even online the groups for the area are not very active.  It's frustrating and disappointing.

mountainmom303
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I belong to a few.  I found them all on Yahoo Groups.   They were very welcoming and inviting and I have already made a great friend in a short amount of time.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

We belong to an online group based in our state - that way we hear about everything and can travel to some event if we're really interested in it.

lukesmyboy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM

We drive 45 mins (and up to 2 hours home in traffic) to go to our park day once a week. We are looking to start a parkday in LA as all of them are in the surrounding cities. There are tons of homeschoolers here too.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, there are some on base, but I couldn't get in to that group.  Our kids are a bit far in age for us to do much with them, though we maybe could do something with my daughter teaching, hehe.  She wants to teach Q but he is way to young at the moment.

Quoting SouthernMama08:

You can say that again.  But I'm gonna try to get something started in the area...I hope.  I know there has to be more than you and me here.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I've tried to start one, but on one is interested in it.  Looking for a secular local group hasn't turned up much where I live.  The other groups are farther then I can travel or have really bad timing for activities.  Even online the groups for the area are not very active.  It's frustrating and disappointing.

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 24, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I belong to one a little over an hour from me.  I haven't been able to find any really good ones in my area and when I attempted to start my own it was very hard to find people to commit.  :(

pamr95
by on May. 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I belong to one however all the kids are a lot younger than my son so we do not do much with them.

Melissa6705
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM
I answered this but can't find my response now? Oh well....we belong to some groups of meetup.com as well as yahoo groups and I love them both!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I've found this to be a huge issue.  If you have not grown up in the place or are friends with other homeschoolers it is almost impossible to start a group.  Even joining a group can sometimes be rather difficult.  It's never completely impossible, just frustrating to the ones who are looking for what they want and/or trying to start something.

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

I belong to one a little over an hour from me.  I haven't been able to find any really good ones in my area and when I attempted to start my own it was very hard to find people to commit.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)