Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't know where to start?

Posted by on May. 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

We just moved from Michigan to Arizona. I am having the worst time. I don't know anyone here and so my kids have noone to play with. I am having a terrible time getting back into a routine and because of this we haven't started back up with homeschooling at all. I have good ideas. I just don't know where to start. I am so stressed out. Any ideas?

by on May. 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

hi betccarter!

wow thats a long move!!

lets see first of all do you know your homeschool law for arizona? if not check here http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/

hey its summer can you all take a break for a couple months?how old are your kids?

debbie

BetcCarter
by on May. 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM

My daughter is 6. My sons are 3 and 1 so I am not too worried about them. But we took a two month break to plan and execute the move and we have been here for over a month. Taking a longer break makes me feel lazy.

LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Library.

Since it was always central to our week, I've always recommended that people get to know their local librarians --and the collections-- so you can get interlibrary loans, make purchase requests, etc. They tend to know other homeschoolers, too... and it's often where arts, sports and learning activities are promoted.

BetcCarter
by on May. 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Thankfully, we are a one minute walk from our local library. I am really excited to start the summer reading program next week. Maybe that will help us get back on track?

Quoting LindaClement:

Library.

Since it was always central to our week, I've always recommended that people get to know their local librarians --and the collections-- so you can get interlibrary loans, make purchase requests, etc. They tend to know other homeschoolers, too... and it's often where arts, sports and learning activities are promoted.

oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM

thats a good way to start! reading!! after they get going on that maybe you can add a math workbook for the oldest. what curr. are you using?

debbie

BetcCarter
by on May. 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

We have a few computer programs she uses for math but other than that I do units. So for example, I was thinking of doing a 'Laura Ingalls' unit. We would read the first book and then do projects based around that. Since we just moved to the desert we could also a desert unit. Does this make sense?

Melissa6705
by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I would look online to find a yahoo group or you can go to meetup.com and search for a homeschool group around you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

oh yes betccarter!! that sounds fun, little house on the praire!! and the desert unit study what a way to learn about the desert! ! hands on! good idea! i bet you'll all have fun with it.

debbie

Quoting BetcCarter:

We have a few computer programs she uses for math but other than that I do units. So for example, I was thinking of doing a 'Laura Ingalls' unit. We would read the first book and then do projects based around that. Since we just moved to the desert we could also a desert unit. Does this make sense?

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Quoting BetcCarter:

Thankfully, we are a one minute walk from our local library. I am really excited to start the summer reading program next week. Maybe that will help us get back on track? 

i am so jealous!!! we have to drive 25 minutes to get to a library.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

That's cool!  We did a desert research project during our unit study on Egypt last year!  I even have a couple of tools that I created for our desert unit on our "Tools for School" page, which you are welcome to if you like!  

https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

I think I have it set so you have to have permission to visit the site, but if any of you are interested, just click that, and I will get that taken care of so you can check out the downloads and links.

Quoting oredeb:

oh yes betccarter!! that sounds fun, little house on the praire!! and the desert unit study what a way to learn about the desert! ! hands on! good idea! i bet you'll all have fun with it.

debbie

Quoting BetcCarter:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)