Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Unit Studies

Posted by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

So...I LOVE unit studies!! Does anyone here make up thier own unit studies? If so, Would you like to share what you have came up with.....

by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM

this is something i would love to know more about.  dd is 4 so we have not been doing this all that long. we started at about 2 but so far it has mostly been learning through play & a few worksheets.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I have incorporated some mini unit studies.  Last year we did...oh now I can't remember and I will have to go back and look.  We do a regular unit study curriculum through the year, but I add or deepen things that I think go along with that and that we are interested in, or if we're going somewhere, then I will focus on that as well so that my kids are prepared for the trip.

ziff130
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Here are some I did for preschool with my kids.... http://craftivities.blogspot.com/2008/12/themes.html

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Quoting ziff130:

Here are some I did for preschool with my kids.... http://craftivities.blogspot.com/2008/12/themes.html

those are really cute :)

dusk90
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I drew up one for Preschool/Kindergarten while in Penn Foster College. It's a week long study titled "My Family".  I also wrote up themes for the following: Birds, Dinosuars, Farm, and wrote a K-3rd grade theme (6-8 year olds) titled "Animals".  As of yet I haven't planned out Birds, Farm, and Dinosuars yet.  But my Farm theme has some vocabulary words.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Here are some of the tools we've used in our Unit Studies.  https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

swim-mom72
by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM

We will be using Winters Promise next year. We are Charlotte Mason lead homeschoolers for the most part, and WP is a beautiful blend of all the stuff we like, great literature based, hands-on unit studies. And I got most of it used from HomeSchoolReviews, so that is a bonus!

Melissa6705
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM
These are great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StefInIdaho
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I made the decision (sometime after midnight, lol... and after hours leading into days and days of research) to use Winter Promise "I'm Ready To Learn" for both kids (who will be just turned 3 and just turned 4) when we start in the fall. It is four 9-week unit studies (pond, farm, zoo, garden). I will add in the phonics prek/k for my 4 year old. I have on the fence about the "journey's of imagination" because we already read so much.... and this IS our first year and I am attempting to not overwhelm any of us....

swim-mom72
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Quoting StefInIdaho:

I made the decision (sometime after midnight, lol... and after hours leading into days and days of research) to use Winter Promise "I'm Ready To Learn" for both kids (who will be just turned 3 and just turned 4) when we start in the fall. It is four 9-week unit studies (pond, farm, zoo, garden). I will add in the phonics prek/k for my 4 year old. I have on the fence about the "journey's of imagination" because we already read so much.... and this IS our first year and I am attempting to not overwhelm any of us....

Yeah! Another Winters Promise user! I wish I had found them when we first started out.

And a big congrats to you for choosing a curriculum! That is enough to make us all loose some sleep :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)